Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Samsung Owners: DTV tuner abnormal PSIP data quality?

• Never have any problems

Votes: 44 42.3%
  • Occasional problems with certain stations

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Frequent problems with certain stations

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Frequent problems with all stations

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
841 - 860 of 888 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Another possible cause of wf1992's issue is it could be bad PSIP data. Some tuners will accept bad data and tune the station anyway and others will reject the channel. If that is the case, complain to the broadcaster as well as the TV manufacturer as they are both to blame. Good luck getting either to fix the problem though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
17.1 doesn't tune in for me unless I chase it , using my Panasonic's tuner. It is a fairly strong signal for me and is there consistantly if I use the tuner in the CM7000 DVR or the PHD VRX tuner.
Laurie in Ladner (New DB8e)

·
Registered
46 Posts
OTA and AV Control

The center of my home theater system is my Panasonic AV control receiver SA-HE100. Prior to switching to OTA antenna I was with Bell and their cable was connected to their converter and from there I connected to my Samsung LED TV via a HDMI cable and all was fine (My TV has 3 HDMI inputs plus 1 component input)

Now with the OTA antenna I have to connect the antenna to the back of my TV and so I by pass my AV control receiver. This complicates the selection of my other components, degrades the sound quality but the video looks very good.

My AV control receiver has one component TV IN plus an RCA video in along with RCA L/R audio. Is there any gadget out there where I could connect my OTA antenna and this gadget will allow me to connect to my TV with either component or RCA jacks?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Your TV probably has either a coax or optical S/PDIF output. You can send that signal to the Panasonic and have surround sound via the Panasonic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As I explained in my post, my TV has ONLY INPUTS (3 HDMI, 1 component and 1 coaxial for the TV antenna IN)

I wonder how the other guys incorporate their OTA antenna to their home theater system

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
oskar270: What is the exact make/model of your TV? You need to connect the audio from your TV to the Panasonic receiver. Most TVs have an optical output or analogue audio outputs. This audio connection needs to go to the receiver when you're watching OTA via the TV - to do this you need to go into the TV's user setup menu for audio and turn on the "external" speakers which turns off the internal TV speakers. If the receiver doesn't have an appropriate input, or the TV doesn't have an appropriate output, then you either need to get some sort of converter, or you need to consider an external ATSC tuner. You would then connect the (external) ATSC tuner to the TV for video and to the receiver for audio.

Cables & Connections FAQ: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

I downloaded the operating manual for your receiver and it has several optical inputs, so provided the TV has an optical output, you should be all set as discussed in post 844:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SA-HE100?t=manuals&support#tabs OM Link:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SA-HE100.PDF Direct Link, see page 6.

Of course you need to set/connect everything up properly, with the TV sending audio to the receiver and the receiver set to the appropriate input to receive the audio from the TV. The digital inputs on the receiver can often be "assigned" to any desired input location, although they are usually pre-assigned to certain inputs, as labelled on the back of the receiver.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry 57 for the delay but I was expecting an email notification which I never got and today decided to check my thread here and I see your reply.

My TV is a Samsung LED model UN46EH5000F, type UN46EH5000. Yes it has a digital audio output which is connected with an optical cable to my audio receiver but I have noticed that since the antenna IN is not connected to my audio receiver and neither thru the TV’s HDMI TV IN the sound level is not the same between the TV and when I watch a DVD which is connected to my audio receiver.

I still believe that if I had some kind of a STB to connect my OTA antenna IN to it and from there go to my TV with HDMI all will be better but I am not sure what the best setup will be in my situation. How the other members connect their OTA antenna to their Home Theater?

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
...the sound level is not the same between the TV and when I watch a DVD...
So, you have audio but it's quiet? Make sure that you've select the "fixed" audio output option in the TV's setup menu for the external speakers - this maximizes the volume from the TV when listening externally, or turn up the volume on the TV so that the audio signal exiting the TV is not quiet.

Various devices do have differing output levels, so an external STB may not be any different. Also, some AVRs allow you to compensate in their audio/input setup for weaker incoming signals on certain inputs. (I quickly looked through the OM for your AVR and found no such option, unfortunately)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just had a look at your "57's Home Theater" pictures and I see you that you are very well equipped, congrats.

Yes I still have audio but its not at the same level as DVD, Blue Ray, etc. Before all my equipment were at the same sound level. Of course I can jack up the level, not a big deal, but my thinking is having the antenna connected at the back of the TV is not the best way.

Perhaps wrongly, I still believe that a STB will improve my setup and in addition will provide me with some extras features. Since I'm new to OTA concept I will search to see what I can find.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Before getting a STB, just make sure you have the appropriate settings in the User menu for the TV. The audio setting should be something like "fixed" instead of "variable". If it is variable, then increasing the volume in the TV using the TV's volume control, should increase the audio volume leaving the TV and get it closer to the level of your BD/DVD, but the proper setting is usually "fixed", which gives the loudest volume and the best S/N Ratio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What to do about inferior ATSC tuners in modern TVs?

Hi,

Well I am a happy new owner of a Samsung PN60F8500 smart plasma TV. I have a decent antenna, and it goes through one splitter, one signal goes to the TV, and the other signal goes to a Hauppauge USB tuner stick for my main computer. I live in the NDG area of Montreal on the third floor. I used to be able to get most of the channels except for ABC 22, which I know is very difficult to get and you need a fancy antenna. The "57" channels have also disappeared, but I think they changed something last year in their transmitter setup so I assume that is the case for many people.

This high-end smart TV can't compete with the Hauppauge USB tuner stick! I might get nine or 10 channels on the USB stick an only four or five on the TV. Before I had the new TV I had an old plasma TV and a HTPC with a Hauppauge PC card plugged in and there was no difference. So I know that the TV tuner inside this very expensive TV sucks. I have searched and found similar comments elsewhere. I fund it difficult at times to get channel 12!!!

Is there anything that can be done to mitigate this issue? I find it incredibly annoying.

I think nowadays the tuners are a "tin can" with the coax input mounted on a board inside your TV. The real solution would be to replace the crappy and cheap tin can with a new "real" tin can.

Frustrated....

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I agree with nezdepain, your best bet would be to use an external tuner. As an alternate to one with an HDMI output, you could use and HDHR. I find the HDHR4-2US performance is similar the the Hauppauge HVR-950Q and it supports DLNA, so you should be able to watch it directly from your smart TV (I haven't tried it though). If you don't have a wired Ethernet connection to your TV, you might want to look at the HDTC-2US instead, as it will transcode to H.264 to provide additional compression (though with a slight reduction in PQ because of the extra transcode).

If you do try this, please provide feedback on how well it works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Canot manually add channels to Samsung TV

In this area, people use antennas with rotors. With most TV's, you aim your antenna at one location, say Detroit/Windsor, and scan those channels in. Then, re-aiming your antenna at say, Cleveland, you then scan another batch of channels. Some TV's delete the first batch when you do this (dumb) - but at least they provide a manual way of adding channels.

However, on my neighbour's Samsung LN37A330, you cannot manually add a channel. So, if you want to switch from a Detroit channel to a Cleveland one, you have to do an auto-scan. and then scan again to go back to Detroit. I just contacted Samsung (Live Chat) - and it appears that this is normal with Samsung TV's. Is this correct? Does anyone know how to manually add channels to this model of Samsung TV?

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
What happens when you manually enter the real channel number of a station not yet scanned into the TV?

Also, I notice that it's possible to update the firmware on this TV. Have you investigated this? It's possible that a newer firmware is available which enables you to easily add stations to a scan.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Jase88. The suggestion of adding in the real channel number worked perfectly. Strange approach though - since most people don't understand the concept of real vs virtual channel numbers.

They seem quite happy with their TV now - so I'll forgo updating the firmware.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Strange approach though - since most people don't understand the concept of real vs virtual channel numbers.
I suspect they consider the use of a rotor an advanced concept and those that use one will understand real channel numbers.

841 - 860 of 888 Posts