Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are any ATSC tuners integrated in a TV, or even stand alone, that support H.264 aka MPEG4 as specified in the A/72 ATSC standard?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Not sure. But, why would you want a tuner with that, since no station that know of is broadcasting with H.264. I could be wrong though.

Do you want to play some media that you have in H.264 onto your TV? If so, it wouldn't go thru your tuner.

I little confused as to why you would ask such a question. Can you explain further what your need is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to buy a new tv in the next few months and wanted to know if that's something I should consider in order to "future-proof" my investment. The current tv I have is 16 years old, and I don't wish to have to buy a set-top box in a few years if tv station were to go that way. I read that some of them would be broadcasting in H.264 so that mobile devices can also receive their signal.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My guess is that the current ATSC standard will be in place for at least 25 years.
Mobile is a different technology and even if your tv could receive it you would not want to watch it; not enough definition on a big screen.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
H.264/MPEG4 has been part of the ATSC standard for a bit over a year now, but no broadcasters in Canada have attempted to use it because of a lack of consumer hardware capable of receiving it. Mobile ATSC will definitely use it. If you use the Search This Forum tool with the term MPEG4 you will find several earlier threads covering the topic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I have no idea for sure.

But my understanding is in Europe most of the HD broadcasts are H.264, and that the HDHomerun handles the streams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.