Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

301 - 320 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
We have a CM-7001. It works well for us. We needed it to get 5.1 surround sound from our antenna signal, as our TV does not have that capabiltiy. We have OTA in conjunction with Basic Cable.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Are you in the Windsor area by any chance.?

I am having a terrible time getting a CM-7001 to tune to 62.1 and stay switched on. For some reason it always turns off after about 11 or 12 hours. All the other 11 x CM-7001's in the Headend stay on but they are on different Channels. Have swapped the unit with all the others, only when a CM-7001 is tuned to 62.1 does it turn off. Very odd.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What should i Buy? OTA TUNER HD Box

Hi All,

I have 2 TV's... one of them has a tuner built in and works no issues but the other one doesn't have it... it is an HDTV so i want to get a cheap OTA TUNER that will give me a guide and work!

does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Channel Master 7001 is a good receiver, however it does not have a guide. It will give info on the program you are watching. The cheaper OTA tuners tend to be the Digital to Analogue converters.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
i want to get a cheap OTA TUNER that will give me a guide and work
Sort of like asking for a cheap luxury car! Any external ATSC tuner that delivers HD won't be "cheap", that is if you are lucky enough to find one.

The old Samsung SIR-T451 or DTB-H260F probably would do the trick for you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tivax doesnt work anymore,whats the best out there now?

my tivax stb-8 crapped out recently.i owned it for over 3 years,never had a problem.ive been looking for a replacement,but the options are limited to Zinwell 970,Homeworx and CM7001(which I have read that it has major reliability issues).if anyone can give me some recommendations,i'd appreciate it.thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
the options are limited to Zinwell 970,Homeworx and CM7001
I used to own a Zinwell 970A and I have the homeworx hw-150pvr. The Zinwell converter box is not HD, it has only analog outputs. I would say both tuners are more or less equal (in terms of sensitivity, if that is an issue), that is, not exceptional but fine. The Homeworx is cheaper, has basic recording features (to an external USB drive) and has more outputs (hdmi, component, rca).

·
Registered
257 Posts
thanks for the reply,it so happens I was in one of the "big box" stores this afternoon and saw that exact model for a good price.i picked one up,brought it home.results were surprising.with the Tivax,i could only get between 3-5 stations during the winter months,this with a DB2e and a 13db CM 3042.problem being a 3 storey building 20 ft. to the west of the antenna placement(indoors 20ft up).anyways,after the first initial scan,it picked up 8 stations (Toronto) during crappy weather(freezing rain).after adjusting the antenna more southerly,it picked up 5 stations,mostly Buffalo stations,while losing the Toronto ones.needless to say,i was quite impressed,thanks for the recommendation.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
OSS481, what type of inputs does your TV have? What is the TV's make/model number so that we can check on that and make recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
does anybody know where I can find a external ATSC tuner with component video output for this tv? I have a digital tv antenna and it uses coax... my tv has no coax..

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
OSS481, the HomeWorx HW-150PVR and the Channel Master 7001 were discussed right above your first post. They both have component output (sometimes called YPbPr output).

·
Registered
101 Posts
OTA Receiver

Hey!

I've cut the chord in southeast Calgary (Mahogany) and I want to get setup with OTA. My tv doesn't have a tuner though so I will need some sort of receiver to plug an antenna into. What do you all recommend?

I also have a home theater PC with free PCI & PCIe slots if a tv tuner is recommended. As well I just got an nVidia Shield. I also have some old shaw HDTV PVRs, their Gateway system, and their previous PVR. But I'm told those boxes wont work with OTA signals. I also have a PIA VPN subscription if that is applicable.

What do you recommend? I mainly want it to watch Hockey Night in Canada in the fall.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have a Zinwell that has been doing it's job since the Canadian switch over to digital. Seems to work very well and has not failed. Look around and see what is available. I would tend to spend more than less, meaning do not go for the least expensive tuner available. Ours was bought at The Source and the manager was very candid about reliability, ie what gets returned, and that really helped make the decision.

As regards a PC setup, I will leave that to those with the experience.

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I would recommend one of these.
They are cheap but they do the job pretty well for Under $30 (US) from Amazon, shipped to my door.
Homeworx hw180 STB.
Mediasonic
Plug in a USB Hard Drive and you have a DVR, or can be used standalone without a hard drive.
Has HDMI output and provides a nice picture with a simple easy to follow menu structure.

from Walmart lookin like ~ $32 (US)

I originally bought the hw150 PVR for testing purposes...
http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1365123671
Eventually gave that one to my brother who still uses it, after I grabbed the newer hw180 STB.
Which is basically the same but without the component outputs if I remember right.
So in theory, an hw150 pvr might be better in terms of flexibility than the newer hw180 IMO, since it has hdmi
and component output, if you can still find them. SW and I presume processor is a little
different on the newer hw180.

We were discussing both of these in the following thread some time ago.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/56806-atsc-dvr-pvr-recorders-other-than-cm-43.html

301 - 320 of 335 Posts