Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

281 - 300 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tivax vs CM7001

just wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the 2.i have a Tivax which has worked flawlessly,i was just wondering if the CM7001's performance justifies the price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ATSC tuner with hdmi out

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a tuner box to be used with my projector. I read several posts that talk about chip generations etc, but I cant seem to find any guidelines about it.

-which box has the new generation chips? How can you tell?
-is there a list of atsc tuners that people generally agree work well and are recommended? Eg. somethign like the antenna chart..

My only real requirement is hdmi output. It would also be nice if it could decode cable tv signals as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
just wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the 2.i have a Tivax which has worked flawlessly,i was just wondering if the CM7001's performance justifies the price.
The Tivax is an SD converter box (meaning it will down-convert all HD broadcasts to 480i). OTOH, the CM-7001 is an HD box, so if you have an HDTV it will give you better resolution (if you use component or HDMI cables). If you have an analog TV, or use S-Video, composite or RF connections, you won't notice any difference however.

·
Registered
257 Posts
thanks for the reply Roger.i was wondering why the CM7001 has the hdmi option when most tv's that are equipped with hdmi connections have digital tuners anyways.

·
Registered
257 Posts
and i forgot to ask,i was wondering as to how the tuners compare against each other as well,the Tivax seems pretty sensitive imo,just wondering thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
my dtv 5000HD will not come out of stand by

hello all,
i was wondering if someone could offer some assistance with my problem. i have a an Electronic Master DTV5000HD and besides the digital optical audio never working properly, ( i tested 3 different units from the store, non of them worked) it has been working fine for the last 3 years or so. yesterday we had company over, so the wife handed me a dust rag and orders to wipe everything on the entertainment unit down. today i have noticed that when i press the power button, the unit turns on for a second then returns to stand by mode. when using the remote, nothing happens. i have tried disconnecting power from the unit for over 3 minutes, but still having the same problem. i looked for a reset button but i couldn`t see anything. anyone run into this problem before, and know how to fix it

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
re: Electronic Master DTV5000 HD/SD unit.

Not sure why the unit will not stay on. But I have seen some older TV's that sometimes do this. Typically some electronic component inside fails or goes out of spec. A capacitor goes bad sometimes, I have heard, causing this behaviour. I had a small old CRT TV fixed that did that.

[ long shot - Check the SLEEP TIMER setting/programming in the menus of the unit. just from memory, I think this unit has a sleep timer option, and I turned mine OFF. Maybe the sleep timer circuitry has gone bad, has a bad component in it. ]

As for the remote not working. Another member posted WAY back, something about "Never try to use the REMOTE for this unit as a Universal Remote to control anything else, like a TV."

The instruction manual says you can get the remote to "LEARN" to control another unit, like a TV ... But DO NOT DO THAT .

Do not try to "LEARN" this remote anything. Use only for the unit itself.

" Don't LEARN it anything "

The person said that once you do that, it messes the remote up ... and then they could not get it reset again, to control the box again. Not sure if they ever figured that problem out or not.

Having said all this - some members on the forum state these units are "quirky" and have issues. They're reliability and quality are suspect. They may DIE unexpectedly. Basically like any of these boxes - or anything electronic for that matter.

Mine too has some issues. HDMI output connector has an issue on mine. HDMI - got it to work by wiggling and holding, but has a connection problem. But Component RGB RCA outputs did give me a stable real HD output to an HD screen. Never tried the Optical Audio out on mine.

I have one, still working, hooked up recently here in Ottawa to an outdoor antenna, and picking up all the local digital channels.

I feed S-Video out, and Stereo Audio (RCA-RW) out to a good SD Recorder - and getting some VERY nice picture and sound recordings - recently - even if just Standard Def'n - from OTA - over the air local TV broadcasts.

[ So I'm picking up the local HD Digital ATSC OTA broadcasts in Ottawa, and getting a really good SD picture and stereo sound from the Analog outputs of this unit - for recording.]

3-Years? Probably way out of warantee. Can't exchange.

Wiping with dust rag may have sent a static electronic pulse into the unit, and damaged some sensitive component inside.

Hard to say for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for your input mrvanwrinkles. i don't understand how to reset the sleep option if i can't get the box to stay on though? i did use the learn function, and everything works fine with the remote, except, hehe... after awhile i noticed that i could not reduce the volume of the TV.

could anyone suggest a reliable convertor? one with HDMI out and possibly OPT audio, wouldn't mind rotor control as well, as i plan to get a rotor one day.

thanks all...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Search back through this thread. CM ? Channel Master model for an HD box? Not sure if they still make them though. I fear for a HD box, you may have to really search, or try to find used.

If an SD box would do ... there is a separate thread in the Forum for SD, standard definition digital convertor boxes / non-recording. Read though this thread as well.

Some might just suggest to just buy a recorder with the combined analog and digital tuner in it. You might find those units more robust, if they are built by a better quality manufacturer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks again vanwinkles. i am currently trying out a HomeworX, what a piece of crap! only has RCA ouptut, the remote is pretty much useless if more than 5 feet away, and not pointing directly at the receiver. channel guide is ok though, you can scroll throguh upcoming times to see whats coming on, and actually i did get one channel in better than i did with my old box. also, the price isnt bad at $45.

i think i am going to return it and go with the Chanel Master. i know there brand is much more known, and they seem to make quality products. but thats what you pay for, $180.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
If it only has an composit (RCA) output, it is an SD box. They are much cheaper, but obviously only display in SD (they are designed for use with old analog TVs). The HD boxes cost more, but are better for using with HD ready TVs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi people
I had a Centronics ZAT 502 HD that seem to have died on me. It is stuck in standby mode and even trying to reboot by removing the power completely seems to have no effect. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out of that mode?

If not can someone suggest a decent non recording digital tuner for the Canadian market.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I need to buy an ATSC Outboard Tuner w/HDMI for my old JVC IArt 30" Widescreen TV upstairs.It has HDMI and 2 Component.

Anybody have a Channel Master CM7001((I'm consdering it)?

Others?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Some external decoder suggestions for your JVC display.

I've mentioned in some other posts there is a series of Panasonic DVD/VHS recorders produced from around 2005-2007 that have ATSC tuners. I own a DMREZ37 with component outputs.

Look for DMREZ27, DMREZ37, DMREZ47 with component video output or 28, 38, 48 with HDMI.

You may be able find one of these used in your area. There is a 38 or 48 posted on the Edmonton Kijiji page at the moment.

Also, I have had good success using a Samsung SIR T151 over component to Panasonic TAU 27 inch, and a Panasonic plasma.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DVB-T Help!!!!

Good evening all, first of all sorry for my English since it is not my native language but i will do my best to make my self understand as much as possible.

Second thing this is my first post and i have to say sorry because i couldn't find a welcome thread, so Thank you all the ones that make possible to interact here with this amazing forum.

Well the reason why am opening this thread is because i couldn't find in the web a place to seek for support for this specific issue we have in latinamerica(am from Panama).

the problem is, we are now moving to the Digital HD TV under the format of DVB-T with a 6mhz bandwidth.

that being said, AZBox Canada group are the only one as far as i know developing new or at least providing some updates to our old AZBboxes, i have manage to to make my box capable to search and lock all of our local HD Channels mainly thanks to the developer of the dogsetting software who is the only one who told me exactly what to do in order to make this possible, however the firmware in our boxes wont let us change the bandwith within the DVB-T tuner configuration(this needs to be fixed if possible), we need someone to enable it in order to let us down here in latinamerica be capable of enjoy our local HD Channels, am adding a video that i placed in youtube to give you all a better understanding of the problem.

video link -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_jqXqg2aNQ

- 6mhz DVB-T terrestrial.xml for Enigma2 should look like this, this is just to give you all more info.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- useable flags are
1: Network Scan
2: use BAT
4: use ONIT
8: skip NITs of known networks
and combinations of this.
-->
<!-- transponder parameters:
bandwidth: 0 = 8 MHz, 1 = 7 MHz, 2 = 6 MHz, 3 = Auto (unsupported, default)
constellation: 0 = QPSK, 1 = 16-QAM (default), 2 = 64-QAM, 3 = Auto
code_rate_{lp,hp}: 0 = 1/2, 1 = 2/3, 2 = 3/4, 3 = 5/6, 4 = 7/8, 5 = Auto (default), 6 = None
guard_interval: 0 = 1/32, 1 = 1/16, 2 = 1/8, 3 = 1/4, 4 = Auto (default)
transmission_mode: 0 = 2K, 1 = 8K, 2 = Auto (default)
hierarchy_information: 0 = None, 1 = 1, 2 = 2, 3 = 4, 4 = Auto (default)
inversion: 0 = Off, 1 = On, 2 = Auto (default)
-->
<!--
Please report missing frequencies and pointers to regional
standards to http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/board/
-->
<locations>
<terrestrial name="Panama: DVB-T Frequencias" flags="5">
<transponder centre_frequency="177100000" bandwidth="2" constellation="3"/>
<transponder centre_frequency="183100000" bandwidth="2" constellation="3"/>
<transponder centre_frequency="189100000" bandwidth="2" constellation="3"/>
<transponder centre_frequency="195100000" bandwidth="2" constellation="3"/>
<transponder centre_frequency="201100000" bandwidth="2" constellation="3"/>