Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

701 - 720 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When you consider how inexpensive these clone PVRs are they do a reasonable job. I've had my Mediasonic HW-150 since 2014 and its works great. These cheap units however appear to be hit and miss re quality control.
There isn't much to chose from, you either buy a cheap one or spend hundreds for a quality unit. There's nothing inbetween.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When you consider how inexpensive these clone PVRs are they do a reasonable job. I've had my Mediasonic HW-150 since 2014 and its works great. These cheap units however appear to be hit and miss re quality control.
There isn't much to chose from, you either buy a cheap one or spend hundreds for a quality unit. There's nothing inbetween.
It's a bit of a mystery to me: I see dozens of cheap ATSC tuner/PVR boxes. I see dozens of cheap Android set-top boxes. But I see hardly any combination boxes (both tuner + Android) and those I do find all seem to be running some ancient version of Android like 6.x.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Mediasonic HW-150
Mediasonic is a reputable but lesser known brand that has been around for some time. I had a Mediasonic media player with built in file server about 10 years ago and it was a good piece of hardware. The software was not the best but was typical of the time. I would avoid really cheap PVRs since they are probably just rebranded generic devices and may lack support.

I see dozens of cheap Android set-top boxes. But I see hardly any combination boxes (both tuner + Android)...
The best solution is to use Android boxes or other media players with a media server (HTPC or NAS with PVR software) and built in or network based TV tuners. For live TV, network based tuners such as the HDHomeRun (there are others available) work well. The HDHR has an Android app that supports live TV and back end PVR software.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a MyGica 586 ATSC tuner/PVR/Android box, bought about 5-6 years ago.
I still use it, but it is generally buggy and not good.

It sort-of works as an Android and Kodi box, can stream Netflix, YouTube and CBC Gem, but some others don't work (Crave, CTV, Global)
It has an ancient version of Android (KitKat?) and can't be upgraded.

The tuner works well, but the PVR features are absolute crap.
The timer setting relies exclusively on the EPG data sent by stations, and those are mostly wrong or useless. And even if the EPG is right the PVR randomly misses recordings.

I have looked for similar products and have been led to understand that it is very difficult for an Android device to run a tuner and PVR (for some electronical reason that I don't understand)
However, the newest NVIDIA Shield can work as a PVR with a subscription to Plex.

So now I use a windows PC to record with a Silicon Dust tuner, and play back on the MyGica Android/Kodi

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had my Mediasonic HW-150 since 2014 and its works great.
I find it amazing that anyone could be happy with such a product. I got one in 2016 and found it very frustrating. I guess my biggest beef was that I couldn't override the clock. So it relied on the broadcasters' metadata to calibrate its clock, which here (Ottawa) was often way off, like hours!
In addition to the basic courtesies any product should afford some of my concerns come from my experience w/digital TVs. I've found a few of them (like the older kind or the cheaper kind) aren't very good at managing spurious signals. So sometimes I receives one, then locks into a state where I have to rescan the channels. Other than that, if it just records stuff, let's you watch while recording, and also records all the metadata, like EPG and CCs and the like, I should be fine. Tablo Dual Lite DVR review: The all-around champ is cheaper than ever recommends Tablo Dual Lite DVR.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Let us know how the Tablo Dual Lite DVR works out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If it comes to that, I will. But before I do, I was hoping someone else might be able to give some insight into it before I buy. My takeway from the Mediasonic, which I found shocking primitive, is that this is what the market was like: I couldn't do any better. After 4 years of making the best of Tvheadend on my Raspberry Pi, I'm hoping things have changed.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Unfortunately back in 2016, when you bought the PVR it was already passe technology and certainly not a whole house solution. The specs on the Tablo are great for the price, but it appears to be limited at best to 720p playback resolution. Many OTA stations are 1080i. No mention of 4k or 1080p.
I do however like the simpicity of setup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why do you say it can only do 720p? Because the review mentions that specific res? It doesn't say it can't do higher, but it does seem to indicate that higher resolution won't necessarily be better. W/the TV I have right now, I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i, but that TV is 11 years old and w/like the likelihood of replacement and ATSC 3.0 on the horizon, maybe I should be more forward-looking. :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it comes to that, I will. But before I do, I was hoping someone else might be able to give some insight into it before I buy. My takeway from the Mediasonic, which I found shocking primitive, is that this is what the market was like: I couldn't do any better. After 4 years of making the best of Tvheadend on my Raspberry Pi, I'm hoping things have changed.
I purchased the Tablo Quad at the beginning of the year.

The 4 tuners is nice, and with three TVs each using the Roku Streaming Stick+, it sure is nice to watch broadcast signals on the TVs without having to use an antenna cable. Actually, the main TV is hooked up to the antenna cable, but the Roku allows me to connect to the Tablo.

Now the downsides!

I won't go into every one of them, but the most frustrating, the inability to retain found towers if a new scan is done, and the inability to add new towers.

And to get the most out of the Tablo, more has to be done to use it, when compared to my rotor friendly ePVision PHD-VRX, and rotor friendly Channel Master DVR+.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unfortunately, that's a quirk that seems to be quite common in the digital age. I have 2 TVs (one very old, one very budget) and they can both be permanently confused by spurious signals, until I do a rescan.

I'm wondering how the Tablo streams to a Chromecast. The way its treated Tablo Dual LITE OTA DVR for Cord Cutters - with WiFi & Automatic Commercial Skip: Amazon.ca: Electronics and Tablo DUAL LITE OTA DVR suggests that it's not as efficient a streaming choice as the others. Is this a matter of an app on my Android device recasting to the Chromecast? My experience w/Netflix and Prime Video tells me that if my phone casts to a Chromecast, I might lose image quality.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's a bit of a mystery to me: I see dozens of cheap ATSC tuner/PVR boxes. I see dozens of cheap Android set-top boxes. But I see hardly any combination boxes (both tuner + Android) and those I do find all seem to be running some ancient version of Android like 6.x.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I have both a Iview 3200 and a Mediasonic 150 I have a love/hate relationship with them for many of the reasons already mentioned not being able to set the time is a big problem but they work and I have used them for years (of course replacing them when they die). I don't have one of these but Iview has an android/OTA box https://www.iviewus.com/index.php/cyber-box.html I don't know anything about it except for the information on the web page.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Tablo has a new HDMI version for direct connection to your TV with no conversion plus still has streaming.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's great news that Tablo has an HDMI-connected PVR. It will be a great option for the less technical-minded, and saves the cost of an additional set top box or dongle.
If they will add some internal storage it would be all-in-one plug-and-play (plus the antenna).
A simple device like this can help to get OTA into more homes.

$150 US, $200 CAD, on tablotv.com

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can give an interim review of the Tablo Dual LITE: (n). Problem is, it's probably the closest thing to (y) on the market. It depends on a lot of extra equipment, some of which can be pretty expensive an incompatible, startup can be complicated and bug-ridden, and over the week that I've had it, I've had some serious problems. If I can't get them worked out, I'm going to return it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Do you have the HDMI or wi-fi version?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The jury's out on some of the bigger ones. Amazingly, I was told that a recording failed, because a signal was too weak. That's unadulterated bs, because that signal is never weak. According to their knowledge base, this message can be due to an hdd incompatibility. So we'll see how this new drive works out.

701 - 720 of 728 Posts