Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

661 - 680 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thought as much, went back a few pages to check for any mention... when I saw none I posted... plus add another vote for Tablo. :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
The Tablo hooks up to your home router and then can be watched wirelessly through all your devices & computers with the Tablo app.
How does the No ads feature work? Are there certain shows that don't have the feature?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
^ I think you're confusing the Tablo with another product. It just has skip forward and backwards just like any other PVR. It doesn't "automatically" skip or remove commercials.

·
Registered
29 Posts
PHD-VRX notes

I'm still using my 3-year-old-+ PHD-VRX here in Vancouver, BC, with a north-facing location directly line-of-sight to the transmitters on Mount Seymour. I get seven perfect channels, same as I got with just a TV and tuner box OR directly into my Sharp LCD TV. A simple "bow-tie" or loop would provide all those channels with just slightly less strength, but I drive both my PHD-VRX's tuners from an amplified TERK plate and equal-balance splitter. All channels rock stable except for extreme weather to the north, which weakens the Global channel. All channels are clear 1080P stereo except the two CBC stations, which are 720P stereo.

I am on the north side of a north-facing slope, and too low and far from the border to pick up US signals to the south. Same goes for the one or two small, weak stations broadcasting from west of here, which are down slopes facing the other way.

The PHD-VRX eagerly takes its time from a network or from PIPS, and the latter is pretty reliable. I don't use it, though, because I like to set my clock 15-20 seconds ahead and not miss show openers. It's an annoying trial-and-error to align the seconds, as there is no precise "NOW" set button. I have to key in the manual time setting and then check to see how far off it is.

The PHD-VRX saves raw .MPG (MPEG-2, I believe) streams and creates a proprietary .NAV file with indexing info, closed captions and show PIPS descriptors, which are usually truncated by sloppy PIPS feeds padded with too much blank space, scrolling some data off. It is slow to change channels and once in a while I need to change away and back to a channel to get it to lock in.

I can copy files from the recorder to my computer and play them with VLC or other players, but without the extra .NAV fuctions. Is there any other PVR that can record closed captions and let you turn them on/off, change parameters and the like during playback?

There are raw edges and peculiarities one learns to work around, like never deleting shows while recording, and it's best suited to a true geek, particularly one with some Unix clues. But now that I'm used to it, I love it and would miss it if it died. (Touching wood!) I use a Buffalo 2TB Drivestation with 1GB DDRAM buffered controller for recording. To record two channels at once, it must use ext2-formatted media, not NTFS. Of course, nothing using a FAT-based file system can record long television programs because of the 2GB file size limit of FAT.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello,

About three years ago, I purchased 2 channelmasters dvr+, one with the a built in 1tb hard drive and one with the 16gb flash memory. They lasted almost 3yrs. The one with the built in hd developed hd issues and looks like its a board issue, the other one the tuner went bad. I spent over 800.00 between these 2 units and I am not impressed at all with the quality of build.

I went to Factory Direct and purchased a homeworx hdpvr150 with a usb hard drive and I must say I am very impressed with this unit. The software on it is v5 dated January 2016 and it works great so far, the epg is good and accurate and the remote is quick and responsive. The tuner is very sensative as I had to put a 6db attenuator on it to scan all the channels. So far so good.

Now I need to purchase another one, before I go back to get another homeworxs unit, Is there any other unit out there that anyone would recommend other then the CM?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have to agree with you the PVR 150, especially for the price, is an excellent unit. Mine is 2 years old and works great. The external Seagate 1 TB drive also works without issue. The tuner is overly sensitive so like you I have an 7db attenuator.

Too bad about the CM units considering the cost.

I'm always looking for other PVR units, but the market seems to be very limited as well as very expensive.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have the iVIEW 3500STB since october 2013 and I think it's the same as the Mediasonic Homeworx HW-150PVR. After a small issue with it last august, I downloaded the V6 firmware and installed it.

For 40 bucks, it was a good deal :)

I also heard about the ViewTV VT-163, don't know more about it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hw 150 pvr mod

Mediasonic HW-150 PVR Mod
I really don’t like having the USB connector on the front panel. I have the USB cable bent under the unit running to the back and plugged into a self powered Seagate 1TB HD. Also the cable blocks the remote control sensor to some extent.
Simple solution.
Drilled a small hole (4mm) in the back of the case. Took a USB extension cable with a male connector at one end and female at the other end. Cut off the male plug trimmed the 4 wires, black, red, green and white. With a 30 watt pencil soldering iron, tinned the ends of the 4 wires and soldered them to the back side of the front panel USB connector.

Black cable is the added USB extension.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Great idea! Did you also solder the shield of the USB extension to the chassis? If there isn't already one on the cable, you may benefit from adding a ferrite on the cable.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
No I did not ground the shield. It does appear to work OK both on record and playback so far.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Hooked up the new Homeworx HW-180 device today. So far so good.
It's about 1/2 size of the original one. Receives the same channels as all the
other tuners in the house. It recognized the NTFS formatted drive that I had on the old one, and played existing recordings from the old one without issue.

The only drawback I can see is that it doesn't have YbPbR output, so if the HDMI port ever fails, it's basically done. Other than that it seems functionally identical to the HW-150.
Looks like it lasted a little under year, before failing.
Noticed it wasn't booting up anymore. Disassembly requires removing the 4 rubber feet to get
at 4 screws, and lifting up the Model Number Label/Sticker to get at the 5th screw.
Once inside I noticed a bad 1000uF 16V Electrolytic capacitor. For now replaced
it with 2200 uF 16V. It was enough to get it working again, until the right part shows up.

Reactions: Cham

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Some of us are lucky that we can diagnose and repair equipment. The average person would throw it out and never buy that brand again!
My HW150 is 26 months old. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Yeah, I gave the HW-150 to my brother. It's still kicking.
I estimate the HW-180 lasted ~8500 hours, as I pretty much leave it on continuously.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Have you seen the new Channel Master 7300 pvr? Its looks like an HW 150 clone but for more money.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Naw I have not...
hmm, some quick looking around didn't anything up for me.
I there a link to share ??

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Oops, sorry about the model number screw up. Another senior moment.

661 - 680 of 728 Posts