Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1037 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Samsung ATSC Tuners Thread

The Samsung SIR-T451 is the new replacement for the 351. I decided to wait for the 451 after reading many reviews about the problems with the 351. Also the price point of the 451 ($249) was $100 cheaper than the MSRP for the 351. I had to do some searching for an online store that had it in stock (US based of course). In early October Best Buy in the US had limited availability in many places and they wouldn't ship to Canada from their on-line store. If BB in Buffalo has them in stock now that's great.

The unit is small (smaller than a dvd player) and the remote and menu functions are clear and easy to operate. Tons of output options both cables (composite, component and DVI) and signal (480 through 1080) so that it can be used in almost any configuration. Also you do not need an HDTV television to watch the output. If you go to the US Samsung website you can actually view a pdf of the manual.

For those of you planning your own home cable system like mine (see post above) the box passes the analog signal so you can route the coax output from the 451 to your TV. This way I watch the digital signal through my component inputs (AV 1 source) and the analog signals on the ANT source setting. My hardware (DVD, TV and now the 451) are all Samsung and they work well together.

The only problem I have noted that it sometime reboots itself when it is trying to lock onto channel 43-2. But it is so rare that it doesn't bother me. One other plus is that the warranty is Canada / US so that if it breaks down I can bring it in for service here in Toronto (even though they don't sell them in Canada - go figure). I'm happy so far.

·
Registered
49 Posts

dsspredator said:
It sounds like your setup works well for you, thats great.

How do you like the 451? I have a 151 and I saw the 451 in Buffalo at CC for $249 and was thinking about making the purchase.
I just bought a 151 on ebay with no owners manual any tips for using it properly would be appreciated

samsung 151
terk 55 outside
sony surround
benq 6200 projector
100" screen

I'm located in Fonthill ont.
abc stable
nbc stable
fox stable
cbc stable
upn stable
no pbs
no wb

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It sounds like your unit is working fine.

Punch in 43. WNED has one of the best signals.

Also, if you are in Fonthill try 34, 50, 16, 58.

·
Banned
2,321 Posts
I live in Windsor and get NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX WB, UPN and PBS all great. I do loose a little here and there as I'm directly in the city and have buildings near me. But it's not too often I have problems.

From "Tomato Town" ;) you'll also get plenty of Toledo stations as well. You'll need a rotor however. You and I live in a great part of the country to receive digital OTA.

I have a Samsung SRT-151 (look on ebay for a cheap one probably around $200) and a used roof-top antenna, I don't know what the proper name of the antenna is but if you look at a house near you I'm sure it's 99.9 percent the same as mine. I noticed a lot of antennas in your area are on high masts so that's an extra cost. But you'll pay just a one time up front fee and that's it for ever.

I LOVE digital tv.

Look in the phone book under antenna or satellite and you'll find a few installers. If you need anymore info just ask.

Here's a pic of mine.

·
Banned
2,321 Posts
I have an omni directional and where I live it is utterly useless. I gave it to my inlaws who have a house on the water in Belleriver and it works like a charm.

With those omni directional antennas you need to be in a sweet location with no obstructions.

For OTA you'll need an HDTV ( I assume you have one already) and a ATSC tuner assuming yuor HDTV does not have one built in. If there is an ATSDC tuner built in then jsut hook up an antenna and off you go.

Do yourself a favour and get a proper out door antenna with a rotor for a one time fee and enjoy the free tv ;)

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
Pick up an OTA HDTV receiver such as the Samsung SRT-151 mentioned previously. Connect it up to the TV using component or DVI video and RCA audio or digital audio to a surround sound receiver. Then take your neighbor'a "big antenna" connection, remove it from the back of the TV and connect it to the antenna input of the OTA HDTV receiver. This should work. If it does not then look into getting a small tower or mast with UHF/VHF antenna and rotor. If some stations do not come in, high quality antenna mounted amplifier may help. The antennas for regular TV and HDTV/digital are the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
all i know is i want my HDTV!!!

Got a nice 53 inch panasonic and I haven't gotten my monies worth out of it

So is the concensus that the Samsung 151 the 'receiver' to get or is there a specific reason why you want that one over others?

I have a home theater so anything other that optical is not an option and I'd like to have the option of getting the 'best' picture quality in terms of proper cables and such...which I assume is DVi

Are Bell receivers anygood? Not that I want a Bell receiver, but maybe I can get one of those instead....

Again, I just want something better than average/very good....

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Viro said:
Are Bell receivers anygood?
3 reasons to get the Samsung over Bell (Echostar):

1) Less prone to effects of multipath. Multipath causes ghosts with analog, it can cause zero ATSC reception

2) Stand alone STB's like the Samsung do not have to be hooked up to sat dishes

3) When Bell receivers lose sat signal, the OTA signal is lost as well

·
Banned
2,321 Posts
The Samsung 151 only has component inputs as to whether DVI is better that's a whole other battle. It may seem like the receiver to go because it's been around for a while and is cheap when you buy it used.

In all honesty I would not go with any provider since you can get half the HD stations for free due to location. The other half are HD in name only, however there are HD PPV movies and such with the providers.

Of course there's always DirecTv ;) But that's a whole other battle.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
On line reviews of the latest Samsung seem positive. However, when you check the availability at Circuit City stores in the Buffalo area, none can be had at present through the store pickup. They must have had a special or everyone south of us is buying them. Etronics ships to Canada through Canada Post. I have bought from there before. Are the manufacturers controlling the market or is this a CRTC decision?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
OTA Tuner & Converter Boxes (Non-Recording)

jbracing24 said:
On line reviews of the latest Samsung seem positive. However, when you check the availability at Circuit City stores in the Buffalo area, none can be had at present through the store pickup. They must have had a special or everyone south of us is buying them. Etronics ships to Canada through Canada Post. I have bought from there before. Are the manufacturers controlling the market or is this a CRTC decision?
LG's ATSC tuners seem to be in a similar disappearing mode. Take a look at LG's main international web site and first select the U.S. location from the drop down menu so you can check out their highly rated ATSC receivers shown under Products -> Video. Now go back and select the Canadian site and you'll see that ATSC tuners are nowhere to be found. I think its just market economics but who really knows...

Anyway if someone is considering making a purchase from the U.S. you should consider whether you want to order something that may no longer be covered by warranty once it leaves the U.S. in the mail.

cheers,
stampeder

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in St. Catharines and purchased an LG ATSC/DVD receiver about a 18 months ago through Value Electronics in New York. I first went to Sears in Niagara Falls New York and paid cash for a Samsung receiver that had continuous audio dropouts, I got my money back and ordered the LG. I did not have it delivered to Canada but had it delivered to a UPS store in Niagara Falls New York which charged $10 to hold it. I saved on brokerage fees and PST and GST. I thought I had a problem about 2 months after purchase and Value Electronics was willing to exchange it knowing very well that I lived in Canada, of course I would have to send it back the same way I got it. I first went to Sears because of their money back if not satisfied though you will pay a bit more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sir T-351

I purchased one in September of 2003 at Sears in Niagara Falls NY after researching it on the Web. A week after I purchased it I noticed through various forums that people were complaining about audio dropouts and as luck would have it my set had the same problem. I returned it and got my money back.
There were several attempts by Samsung to correct this but I do not know if it was successful. I think there was another release by Samsung within the past 6 months SIR T-451, I would stay clear of the 351.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Lots and lots of bad reports around the net about the SIR-T351. Seems to had been a bad design from the start. I have a SIR-T151 and it's a great receiver.. don't know what they messed up on when they built the 351.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
HDTV101 said:
Lots and lots of bad reports around the net about the SIR-T351. Seems to had been a bad design from the start. I have a SIR-T151 and it's a great receiver.. don't know what they messed up on when they built the 351.
451 seems to be OK, so it's just the 351. It amazes me how many of these companies, not just Samsung, put out a lemon and then don't take them back after it becomes apparent that they are lemons.

Great way to ruin a brand name - especially since Samsung makes a few other items besides STB's

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Samsung Warranty

I received my T451 set top box from the US and I was pleasantly surprised by the addition of a leaflet in the manual, "North American Limited Warranty Statement".
Quote..."Samsung will additionally provide warranty repair service...in Canada on Samsung products purchased in the United States, for the warranty period originally specified, and to the original purchaser only".
I haven't "played" with the unit yet, but will post my results later on the OTA Niagara thread.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
jbracing24 said:
I received my T451 set top box from the US and I was pleasantly surprised by the addition of a leaflet in the manual, "North American Limited Warranty Statement".
Quote..."Samsung will additionally provide warranty repair service...in Canada on Samsung products purchased in the United States, for the warranty period originally specified, and to the original purchaser only".
Wow, that directly answers one of my biggest misgivings about buying one. I wish LG had the same thing because I've heard their OTA receivers are excellent and might be superior to Samsung's.

21 - 40 of 1037 Posts