Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
In a nutshell, the 3.0 broadcast is the same as the 1.0 broadcast, in quality - right now. We early adopters will have to wait quite a while for possible improvements. That's if they actually follow through and/or 3.0 takes hold. If most TV manufacturers don't bother putting the new tuners in, it might just fade away.
but is Signal strength better ? I am debating this TV or Hisense U8G
if no I'll go with Hisense cause it's cheaper I can wait for ATSC 3.0 They only reason I am thinking about the sony

·
Registered
230 Posts
but is Signal strength better ? I am debating this TV or Hisense U8G
if no I'll go with Hisense cause it's cheaper I can wait for ATSC 3.0 They only reason I am thinking about the sony
Signal strength is worse for me. My area is Detroit and 4 networks are sharing a 'lighthouse' just putting out their 1.0 signal as 3.0. I get 70-75% on this signal and 80-90% on their individual 1.0 signals. I'm 14-17 miles away from the major networks.

Buffalo might be slightly different, but that's what I'm experiencing. If thinking about buying a TV just for 3.0, don't bother. No real benefit at the present.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Atsc3 is coming, it has to. They’ve already reallocated spectrum, the lawmakers and regulators, changed laws and license requirements, but the changes are “incremental,” so the progress appears slow. That’s not quite the case: they’re making everything happen to be able to bring it to market. The benefit is that one day, magically, poof, you’re using the full native resolution of your display(s).

If you look up a publication called Broadcast Engineering, you’ll see stories/reports of just how involved the process is, and how pandemic and environmental and supply/production have all impacted the rollout/changeover.

Patience. Live your life. Let the people working on the process do their thing. And know that your reward will surprise you pleasantly soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought an HDHomerun Flex 4K to mess around with this.

I'm a bit perplexed when they say the buffalo stations have "launched" or "deployed" their ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. The only one I can get content on at the moment is 49 WNYO and all the others just say "Unable to play channel: No video data".

Are these channels actually broadcasting content on these new channels? And if not, when will they start so we can reliably set our PVRs to them?
Fox and mytv usually available...more so at night....ABC, NBC, CBS...almost never available...when available 2.1 and 4.1 are 1080p...7.1 1080i...fox and mytv 720p....audio for all 5 stations is Dolby AC4.....2.1, 4.1 and 7.1 had issues...bands appearing on a third of the screen...also aspect ratio changed...every thing elongated. Sony tv....signal strengthens 41%.....hope this helps

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fox and mytv usually available...more so at night....ABC, NBC, CBS...almost never available...when available 2.1 and 4.1 are 1080p...7.1 1080i...fox and mytv 720p....audio for all 5 stations is Dolby AC4.....2.1, 4.1 and 7.1 had issues...bands appearing on a third of the screen...also aspect ratio changed...every thing elongated. Sony tv....signal strengthens 41%.....hope this helps
This shows as your first post so I couldn't find where abouts you're located getting these results or any details on your setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This shows as your first post so I couldn't find where abouts you're located getting these results or any details on your setup.
Ancaster area...two antennas in attic...1st pointed at toronto....2nd pointed at grand island...Fox for strongest signal...channel master equipment...8bay antennas...combiner....amplifier...distributor for 5 tv's...that's it

41 - 49 of 49 Posts