Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the current clear ota signals being protected, that's part of their broadcast license (FCC ruling to be allowed to even use these airwaves), business model, and unlikely to change. It's possible future channels or pay per view signals will add and enforce these types of permissions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the current clear ota signals being protected, that's part of their broadcast license (FCC ruling to be allowed to even use these airwaves), business model, and unlikely to change. It's possible future channels or pay per view signals will add and enforce these types of permissions.
PPV on OTA channels is possible?

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
It has been done for about 40 years but never became very popular. The signal is encrypted and requires a special receiver to decrypt it. It's not much different from PPV or premium channels on cable or satellite. The only difference is how the signal is delivered.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good article came to my inbox today. Check the legend for the map - note the quotation marks.

It's very early. I don't feel like buying a Set Top Box right now until all the Bugs are worked out of it. Getting 3.0 signals without audio or other problems doesn't interest me.

Making ATSC 3.0 so complicated seems to be a mistake, in my opinion. I'm wondering if we switch to 3.0 and it's software crashes... would stations go completely offline or would they keep 1.0 as a backup? There may be serious privacy issues and many just won't use it.

I'm hoping there will be a way to just get the programming and not have to connect to the internet for targeted ads. I'm already sick of that on YouTube.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The internet connection - over 5G, I’m guessing - will both blank out the advertising and force you to pay for a data subscription. Remember: vertical integration in media companies. Cellular, data, content…they make it, they distribute it, they’ve gotcha.
Bright side possibilities: if I’m right (big if) all your devices will mesh together and share connection to the internet: the more devices, the faster your internet becomes. Buying data in bulk becomes a possibility under this possibility, so you could pay a much lower per-device subscription fee.
Yeah, there are those who say one has nothing to do with the other, but I say wait and see. Everything seems to be in place (give or take) from where I sit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Internet connection isn't mandatory for signals it's just another option. I'm sure it's possible to force it but I wouldn't expect any current stations to do that. There are added benefits to using the internet connection (and some downsides depending on your view) and getting full features but that will likely be a consumer choice and most will probably want those features.

Personally I would prefer targetted commercials instead of seeing call quest or tampon commercials all night, or even that horse dating thing (farmers only?).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Internet connection isn't mandatory for signals it's just another option. I'm sure it's possible to force it but I wouldn't expect any current stations to do that. There are added benefits to using the internet connection (and some downsides depending on your view) and getting full features but that will likely be a consumer choice and most will probably want those features.

Personally I would prefer targetted commercials instead of seeing call quest or tampon commercials all night, or even that horse dating thing (farmers only?).
I understand but those targeted commercials aren't that pleasurable from Google or YouTube. Just more junk they want to sell you and keep track of you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
on a happier note nbc said they bwill broadcast part of the olympics in 4k so here's finger crossed that nbc buffalo will pick up that feed for there atsc 3 channel so i can see true 4k broadcast that wasn't compressed to get to you

·
Registered
252 Posts
on a happier note nbc said they bwill broadcast part of the olympics in 4k so here's finger crossed that nbc buffalo will pick up that feed for there atsc 3 channel so i can see true 4k broadcast that wasn't compressed to get to you
I remember the first time I stepped on an NHK broadcast truck and saw uncompressed 1080 HD.
IF (big if) we get anything close to 4k OTA, lots of minds will be blown

·
Registered
91 Posts
I remember the first time I stepped on an NHK broadcast truck and saw uncompressed 1080 HD.
IF (big if) we get anything close to 4k OTA, lots of minds will be blown

The jump to 1080 was huge, I don't notice the same jump when moving to 4k. There's a bunch of science around it but something about distance from tv and size impacts if you will even see 4k or not.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The jump to 1080 was huge, I don't notice the same jump when moving to 4k. There's a bunch of science around it but something about distance from tv and size impacts if you will even see 4k or not.
Physical disc Blu-Ray 1080P is pretty awesome, if OTA 3.0 at least meets that, I will be happy. Streaming 4K on Netflix doesn't seem to be much different from 1080P, must be compressed and all that jazz.

I was watching a CBC hockey game feed on the Firestick, so much motion blur when the camera and players were moving. Put on my local OTA CBC and the experience was so much better without blur (clearer too)... and that's lowly 720P.

It's too bad you'll have to be close enough to the US border to get a sniff of 3.0, doubt the comrades over here will try any sort of innovation until they see new revenue streams from it. Canadian TV already replays the same commercials over and over, could you imagine the targeted ones? It would be some sort of torture, at double the volume o_O

·
Registered
230 Posts
Most OTA sports is 720p, so going from that straight to 4K should be pretty noticeable.
I'd settle for true uncompressed 1080P with excellent frame rates OTA. There is a point where your eyes won't notice much of a difference. 1080P is a huge upgrade as well.

Going from some subchannels that are in 480i can be shocking... can't believe I watched that crap back in the day. Hopefully they up the minimum resolution a bit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Subchannels are the devil’s work. But in a 4k channel, they can do a 2160 and two 1080s, or a 1080 and a handful of 720s…something like this. So yes, minimum resolutions will increase, but the source material has to be as good or better than that resolution for it to matter

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'd settle for true uncompressed 1080P with excellent frame rates OTA. There is a point where your eyes won't notice much of a difference. 1080P is a huge upgrade as well.

Going from some subchannels that are in 480i can be shocking... can't believe I watched that crap back in the day. Hopefully they up the minimum resolution a bit.
Not much point in going to 1080p. 1080p wasn't part of the ATSC1.0 standard, that was just 1080i or 720p. If networks are upgraing then surely they should go to at least 4k these days and it may make sense that they buy backend equipment that can do 8k.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I just bought an HDHomerun Flex 4K to mess around with this.

I'm a bit perplexed when they say the buffalo stations have "launched" or "deployed" their ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. The only one I can get content on at the moment is 49 WNYO and all the others just say "Unable to play channel: No video data".

Are these channels actually broadcasting content on these new channels? And if not, when will they start so we can reliably set our PVRs to them?
Any update on this? Any luck getting more channels?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not much point in going to 1080p. 1080p wasn't part of the ATSC1.0 standard, that was just 1080i or 720p. If networks are upgraing then surely they should go to at least 4k these days and it may make sense that they buy backend equipment that can do 8k.
I'm watching Detroit 3.0 broadcasts right now, it says "1080P" and AC4 but I know that locally they are shared broadcasts on RF31, of their 1.0 transmission.

1080P is still an improvement if they actually get around to putting out the true 1080P or 4K.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is Direct Copy and Paste from
Buffalo's stations are already on air via WNYO's RF 16 signal. It carries the following NextGen channels with HEVC video and AC-4 audio:
102.1 WGRZ (NBC) 1080i
104.1 WIVB (CBS) 1080i
107.1 WKBW (ABC) 720p
129.1 WUTV (Fox) 720p
149.1 WNYO (MyNet) 720p

If you want 4K, that's not coming anytime soon as there isn't enough bandwidth for 4K when 5 HD channels are sharing the market's ATSC 3.0 signal for the forseeable future. NBC and CBS's network feeds still originate in 1080i, and ABC, Fox and MyNet still originate in 720p, the markets that have these networks in 1080p are just deinterlacing the 1080i channels and upscaling the 720p channels before they get to the viewer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you want 4K, that's not coming anytime soon as there isn't enough bandwidth for 4K when 5 HD channels are sharing the market's ATSC 3.0 signal for the forseeable future. NBC and CBS's network feeds still originate in 1080i, and ABC, Fox and MyNet still originate in 720p, the markets that have these networks in 1080p are just deinterlacing the 1080i channels and upscaling the 720p channels before they get to the viewer.
In a nutshell, the 3.0 broadcast is the same as the 1.0 broadcast, in quality - right now. We early adopters will have to wait quite a while for possible improvements. That's if they actually follow through and/or 3.0 takes hold. If most TV manufacturers don't bother putting the new tuners in, it might just fade away.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts