Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that they have beenup for five weeks, is anybody in southern Ontario pulling in any of the 5 Buffalo stations now broadcasting in ATSC 3.0?

Are the stations broadcasting in 4k? Any other advantages in pulling in ATSC3.0 yet?

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Read this thread, a couple of reception reports in there.
No, nothing is 4K

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
…YET. But it’s coming at us fast, or will be soon.
4k becoming the de facto norm is actually a fairly scary thing considering the data infrastructure (especially here in Canada).
By data infrastructure do you mean OTA broadcasting? I agree that OTA 4K isn't looking good in Canada, yet Rogers cable was a pretty early adopter of 4K for TV services as they started shows Jays games in 4K in 2016. And parts of Canada actually have very good data infrastructure - I can get 1Gbps internet from either Rogers or Bell. It is expensive, but available, at least in Toronto, Montreal and other places.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read this thread, a couple of reception reports in there.
No, nothing is 4K
Thanks, that has a bunch of info but someone should start a new thread as the last page or two aren't about WNYO, but all of the Buffalo stations.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I’m talking home internet data: If a home with 2 adults and 2 teenage children are all streaming 4k content over their internet connection to individual devices, you could need 100Mbps or higher, and lots of places can’t even get better than 50 affordably. I think everything is angling towards wireless, except in more populous metro areas as you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm close to the Detroit area and there is no 4K, it's the same 720P and 1080i and will be for some time, according to what I'm reading. ATSC 3.0 is voluntary and they're in the initial phases of testing. I doubt Buffalo is any different.

I was going to buy the HDHomerun with the 3.0 tuner until I read there are no additional subchannels in my area right now, it's the same quality broadcasting in 3.0 as 1.0 and most hardware playback sources don't have the audio codec to even play the 3.0's audio. People are going to great lengths to even get audio playback on the 3.0...

Give it a little time and then we'll see what happens. I'm not willing to buy a new TV that has the tuner and proper codec, yet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm not willing to buy a new TV that has the tuner and proper codec, yet.
This is what it will get down to. With so many ATSC 1.0 4k led screens out there that are still well within their service life, an interim step might be a set-top box that squirts out hdmi2.x, obsoleting tvs that are hdmi and ATSC 1. OR everything will be streamed, period, and OTA will disappear.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is what it will get down to. With so many ATSC 1.0 4k led screens out there that are still well within their service life, an interim step might be a set-top box that squirts out hdmi2.x, obsoleting tvs that are hdmi and ATSC 1. OR everything will be streamed, period, and OTA will disappear.

It won't affect Canada. People will still get their Canadian stations because we don't care about 3.0 or even digital TV back during the US analog shutoff.

If 1.0 is shuttered in the USA, it'll be a decade from now. It will be in advertiser's best interest because in conjunction with internet, they'll be sending you targeted commercials like they do on YouTube and such.

I'm just glad I'm in a border town and can see Detroit Lions on Fox 2, just by flicking on the TV.

There isn't much of a need to be an early adopter right now. No more extra channels or higher quality, the set top boxes will come out cheaper and more TV's will have a 3.0 tuner in the coming years.

I never see OTA TV ever going away but it will be mixed with newer technology.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought an HDHomerun Flex 4K to mess around with this.

I'm a bit perplexed when they say the buffalo stations have "launched" or "deployed" their ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. The only one I can get content on at the moment is 49 WNYO and all the others just say "Unable to play channel: No video data".

Are these channels actually broadcasting content on these new channels? And if not, when will they start so we can reliably set our PVRs to them?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just bought an HDHomerun Flex 4K to mess around with this.

I'm a bit perplexed when they say the buffalo stations have "launched" or "deployed" their ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. The only one I can get content on at the moment is 49 WNYO and all the others just say "Unable to play channel: No video data".

Are these channels actually broadcasting content on these new channels? And if not, when will they start so we can reliably set our PVRs to them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, that's one of the articles I was referring to - but it doesn't answer my question.

Are others seeing content on ABC, CBS, NBC ATSC 3.0 channels? My Flex 4K sees no content on those stations. Only WNYO has content for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep, that's one of the articles I was referring to - but it doesn't answer my question.

Are others seeing content on ABC, CBS, NBC ATSC 3.0 channels? My Flex 4K sees no content on those stations. Only WNYO has content for me.
Are you using the HDHR app or other hardware for playback? Did you update the firmware? I'm not in the Buffalo region but I know there are some issues with the hardware codecs of playing 3.0 content.

Buffalo transmitters of 3.0 could be lower power as well. Do you get the 1.0 signals?

HDHR has a Reddit section:

·
Registered
804 Posts
The atsc3 channels on rf16 use different modulations, making it harder to tune in certain channels depending on your location. WNYO uses qam16 and is the easiest one to pick up, WUTV is harder to pick up at qam64, and WKBW/WGRZ/WIVB are the hardest to pick up at qam256. So I'm assuming your location is only able to pick up WNYO. You can try playing around with the hdhomerun_config_gui.exe utility that comes with the hdhomerun software.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
WNYO RF 16 is very directional southeast..They only sent between 660 watts to 25kw toward the GTA so depending on your location they could be low powered.Pickering and Hamilton are in lowest zones while others get more signal.Click on DA icon on rabbitear site to see the power levels for direction..This was done to protect RF 16 for Citytv Woodstock.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
And if not, when will they start so we can reliably set our PVRs to them?
You know there's a "do not copy" flag in ATSC 3.0, which is fairly big driver of this technology. If you miss the live broadcast, then you need to pay for a Hulu account or similar on which the originator collects a royalty. They get nothing if you record the live broadcast and watch it later.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
The do not copy flag does not prevent recording. It only prevents making a copy of the recording to deter distribution. The whole issue of OTA copy flags was determined with ATSC 1.0 about 10 years ago. I forget the details but the result was that the FCC prevented OTA broadcasters from putting any copy protection flags on their signals. The FCC could change that ruling, of course.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts