Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While debugging a problem that was crashing my pc, I noticed that my radeon 7000 card didn't not display the "blue screen of death" over my usual DVI connection - the screen just went black.

After obtaining some advice, I switched my connection to vga (yuck! :() then I noticed that things like the Dell splash screen, and the Windows XP splash screen also came up on VGA but were missing from DVI (I've been on DVI so long I'd forgotten these things existed - I just got used to having a black screen until the "Windows Welcome" appears).

Now that I've fixed by initial problem I'm wondering about this dvi and vga difference. Is this the intended behaviour? Or is there a way turn on DVI for these sorts of things?

Not a major problem, but a bit of a pain for debugging.

And yes, I'm using the latest BIOS and the latest video drivers (reloaded them again last night).

Thanks for any insights!!

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Which connection is the primary display?

My Nvidia card displayed all the splash screens when connected via DVI.

It may also be specific to that card, which is pretty old.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Which connection is the primary display?

DVI. I hadn't used the VGA port in years until this week (and I see why too :D - DVI is so much nicer! ).

Re: It may also be specific to that card, which is pretty old

That's what I was thinking too and why I'm asking here - perhaps it wasn't designed to do this??. If you think my card is old, you should see by mobo :D - but it still performs very well, often in part due to the infomation I've found on these forums. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
ATI 4870

For what its worth - I have a 4870 installed - ran fine in my new puter for 3 weeks with DVI PC>Monitor - then after microsoft updates on the 3rd weekend I could no longer boot - blank (black) screen during windows boot.

One of the updates was VC related - so I tried everything - bios updates to board/ card etc - even rolling back the updates, still no boot - saw note on ASUS site about switching to VGA cable and go figure - moved to VGA PC>Monitor and all was fine. Was more than a little peeved I couldnt use
DVI on a puter I spent about 3000 on - but in the same ASUS note the guy said he bought a new monitor and all was well - so yes I tried that route
also (I need the monitor anyway)

But that didnt work - still only could use VGA.

Now - what I had been doing was booting with the Monitor turned on - by chance during one of these blank screen episodes - I turned the monitor off and then turned it back on - and voila - had my digital DVI back

Maybe thats helps you

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Dragon2AtHome, but it didn't help me. :(

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Issue Resolution

In case someone sees this post in the future, I thought I'd record the "resolution" to this issue.

It's looks like the motherboard is to old too know about DVI. It knows about VGA only. Only well down the boot process does it become aware of DVI.

So I'm just going to live with this I guess. :(

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Older ATI cards are like that, maybe some new ones as well. Only one screen displays POST and it's often the wrong screen. I had an ATI 9600 Pro and it always sent the POST out the HDTV port to the TV in another room, even when the TV was off and the local monitor was on. Unplugging the HD adapter would fix it but that was a PITA. I don't think anything can be done except upgrade to an nVidia card.

·
Registered
409 Posts
so you miss seeing the post screen(s) but once you get to windows, is everything viewable no matter the dvi or vga connection? ie. can you login on the vga monitor and then view the desk top on both?

or if it's blank from the start, it never actually goes through post? and thus blank screen and you have to reboot or something?

i'm thinking/hoping it would be option 1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts