Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both are retail boxed versions with 128 meg ram, Price difference is only $36. I will use it for my HTPC as a PVR and eventually output to an HDTV. Cable tuner is not that important to me as I am on satellite. Comments please.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
The 9600XT doesn't have any video input so you'll need to add a capture card to be able to PVR.

The AIW9600 only has dual VGA and not having DVI is probably a bad idea these days.

If you're not going to be gaming, I would actually recommend 9600 non-pro since it runs cooler than the XT and as such only has a passive heatsink so it runs quieter.

If you go with either the AIW or the XT you'll need to remove the fan and replace it with a passive cooler to quiet the machine down.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cannot seem to find the non-Pro 9600 from the sites I frequent. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
The 9600XT and the AIW 9600 Pro are not really that comparable. They are completely different cards. 9600XT is a gamers card, good bang for the buck. It also does DVI and component out (with a $65 adapter.) I would not buy it for HTPC since it does not do video capture. It would be good if you are planning on purchasing a separate video capture card. The AIW 9600 Pro is ok for multimedia but, as mentioned, it does not do DVI. It is slower than the 9600XT and would be ok as an interim card if you plan to upgrade later.

The only really good choice for HTPC is the AIW 9800 Pro. Not a bad choice right now since it has just been reduced by $200 (comes with the adapter) and will likely be replaced soon. Be sure to plan on fitting it with a Zalman Heatpipe cooler.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Ncix has the 9600SE.

I_W_M_HDTV makes a good point. If you don't want to upgrade for a while, the AIW 9800 is a good bet, especially now that they've cut the price.

With the 9600 cards you'll still need to buy the dongle, which is an extra $50 or so, but the AIW9800 comes with it's own dongle.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I think I'll wait a bit for the price to come down on the AIW9800Pro. My supplier has it for $459 which is still a bit steep.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
I do not think you will see the price come down much more on the AIW 9800 Pro. Chances are ATI will come out with an AIW 9800XT in a couple of months for about $650-$700 and the AIW 9800 will sell out soon after.

·
Registered
476 Posts
how many frames per second does rogers braodcast HDTV my logic is if they are only broadcasting at 24fps why do I want to buy a card that does 39fps or am I missing the point somewhere.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
TVJunkie said:
how many frames per second does rogers braodcast HDTV my logic is if they are only broadcasting at 24fps why do I want to buy a card that does 39fps or am I missing the point somewhere.
Just as an FYI, all HDTV is 30FPS.

The rationale for the AIW9800 is really that it is highly integrated and includes a remote and a dongle.

You are correct that for HTPC use, assuming you don't play games, it is quite overpowered. If you do play games, or plan to in the future, then it is still a good choice. The higher end cards are also useful in decoding WM9 HD content, which could be a requirement in the near future.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just a quick vote for the 9600 non-pro. Stilll setting up my system, but the first thing that I confirmed was that I could decode WM9 1080p (used Step into Liquid) on a AMD 2400+ and it worked fine for me.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I_Want_My_HDTV said:
The 9600XT and the AIW 9600 Pro are not really that comparable. They are completely different cards. 9600XT is a gamers card, good bang for the buck. It also does DVI and component out (with a $65 adapter.) I would not buy it for HTPC since it does not do video capture. It would be good if you are planning on purchasing a separate video capture card. The AIW 9600 Pro is ok for multimedia but, as mentioned, it does not do DVI. It is slower than the 9600XT and would be ok as an interim card if you plan to upgrade later.

The only really good choice for HTPC is the AIW 9800 Pro. Not a bad choice right now since it has just been reduced by $200 (comes with the adapter) and will likely be replaced soon. Be sure to plan on fitting it with a Zalman Heatpipe cooler.
I'm confused - my 9600Pro has DVI out. It does have a fan, but just a small one and doesn't have the additional power connector like the 9500Pro, 9700, 9800 etc. Where did you get the idea that the 9600Pro doesn't do DVI??? I could have bought the 9800AIW for $350, but just didn't need quite that much horsepower when the 9600Pro was $175.

I'm not really interested in HTPC because I'm a HDTV junkie and nothing really gets you there on a PC yet. Recording cable or switching my satellite box with IR transmitters etc. doesn't appeal either when I have the BEV5100. I would like to try games and some other apps, slideshows etc. I do use it for MP3 playback to the receiver via the digital out on the soundcard, and did get the DD, DTS, etc. pass through working from CinePlayer but had no way to try the video quality back to the TV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.