Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Issue 1 - I am using a PAP2A ATA on voip.ms. About 1 out of every 5 calls I get a dial tone, I dial the number and get nothing - no sound, no connection. I power cycle the ATA and everything works? Ideas anyone? Sometimes I see only 2 of the 4 LEDs shining - then I know I have to power cycle it - I get no dial tone at all then. The ATA is about a month old - could it be defective?

Issue 2 - sometimes the sound is garbled on my end and sometimes garbled on the callers end. Once I couldn't make out what message a person had left on voicemail. It was suggested on this forum that I implement QoS on my modem. However that isn't available on my Bell 2Wire modem apparently. I'm on DSL with Bell now and think that perhaps I should move to Teksavvy and go for cable. I think I'd rather do that than get another modem. I have my wife's POTS on the DSL line at the moment and once I'm comfortable with the voip system. I'll move her over and quit Bell. Power cycling the ATA is not something I wish her to have to do though...

Help much appreciated

g

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PAP2 was bought from Canada Computing so I think it's 'legit'.
Thank you - I set SIP T1 to 1 as you suggested.
Reg Retry Long Intvl was already set to 120 as per your published suggestions.
My 2Wire is also my router.
As you surmised, I can hear the Voicemail prompts but once and a while I get a message that is garbled and once in a while I can't hear the other party on the phone and have to use a POTS line. This is rare but it has happened.
If I have further trouble I'll try the Chicago server. Thank you for your note about Teksavvy.
very best
g

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QoS update

Hi Mango
For the past 2 weeks things seemed to have stabilized somewhat. However about 10% of the time I have the experience of no dial-tone and I have to power-cycle the ATA to get the tone, or, I get a dial tone and call out but am greeted with silence, i.e. my call doesn't go through, or, I get garbled the voice of the person I am speaking to is garbled. So I guess I have minimal improvement.

I see that on the Manage DID Numbers page on viop.ms the POP is listed as Toronto-2 however the Proxy on my PAP2 is toronto.voip.ms - is this OK?

The next step is perhaps returning my Bell 2wire modem and getting another that will allow Tomato (whatever that is) and QoS.

comments please... and thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.