Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,414 Posts
Great information Mango. I didn't realize Voip.ms were installing new servers. Do you know why or if the new servers will benefit us?

I agree with you regarding TekSavvy. It's disappointing but I've seen lots of negative feedback from people. I was with them for a while through Bell DSL. I did experience issues with voip while with Teksavvy. When I called about it I was told Bell was doing stuff. It went on for a few months until I finally switched back to cable through Videotron. Teksavvy was trying to get me to stay with them as they deliver through Videotron too but with the voip issues I had I didn't trust it. Plus there's a bigger delay in getting technicians sent to repair lines when going through 3rd party resellers and that concerns me where I depend on voip.

I read that TekSavvy is starting to setup their own cables and ISP so they won't be reliant on the Bells and Rogers. I'd not fool with your Internet if you're using voip. Wait until Teksavvy comes up with a more reliable platform. Or at least has better SLAs with the big guns.

· Registered
1,414 Posts
Well that's interesting. I haven't had any issues with my DIDs in a long while, so the server changes won't affect me. That's a good thing!

One thing that changed recently was the anonymous caller id. It always showed up as anonymous on my phones, but the call log would always show the number. This was great when setting up caller routing that's specific to the caller id. It no longer works for anonymous calls. They are now truly anonymous.

One thing Bell has is a feature named Call Privacy. If you added someone's number to your call privacy list, their number would show on the display even though it's blocked/anonymous. That was very handy because when specific friends call or my brother from cell phones that are blocked, I could identify them. I wish Voip.ms would implement that feature.

Another thing I discovered is that the Busy routing does not always work. I have the flat rate DID plan. This gives me 2 channels. With Bell, Telus, and the other companies once a 3rd person calls they just get voicemail. There are no call waiting beeps or notifications, just voicemail. With Voip.ms, the 3rd caller gets a busy signal EVEN if you've programmed the calls to go to voicemail on busy. It's not a huge deal, but it's something many probably don't know about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.