Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
How about the default browser that comes with ICS or JB, is it still slow to load or is it faster?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I haven't used the default browser since Chrome for Android was released. In fact, on devices that launch with Jelly Bean (ones that never had ICS) Chrome for Android is the default browser.

I don't know if Chrome is faster, but like everything else with Jelly Bean, it seems smoother and more fluid.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Can't wait for the upgrade if it makes everything run smoother. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
My Transformer just got Jelly Bean. It seems to be a bit faster but I'm not sure of the default browser. When I select one of the thread on here to open in a new tab, it opens it but it looks as if the page is washed out or ran out of ink.

I'm still looking around so I don't know what else is new. I do know my keyboard dock got a firmware update... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
As I read your post, from your name until the word interesting, it is like a lazer printer running out of ink, it is washed out . The rest is alright.

The default browser seems to be going less on the wait side, if you know what I mean.

Before I did the JB update, I had updated Chrome in the previous week and then, it just crashed everytime I wanted to use it. I did the JB update and it still refuses to open. I hope they have a newer Chrome updatein the works.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Forget the default browser, forget Chrome, forget Opera... all you need is Dolphin. I've tried them all and stick with Dolphin... best of all, the one niggling quibble I had with Dolphin is now gone with Jelly Bean! :D :D :D

Yes, I'm a broken record: repeating the same suggestion again and again... ;)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I honestly don't notice any difference on my transformer prime

well, the only difference I've noticed is that the swipe to unlock animation is a little spiffier, but other than that, nothing that I really notice

is the TFP better/worse than other tabs? depends on if you like ford/chev/dodge for the most part

hardware wise, they're top notch right now. some of the earlier manufactured units had wifi and/or GPS issues

mine has been great. it does the 4 or 5 things that I bought it for, exactly as I hoped

(comic reader, book reader, web surfing, video/plex watching and some light gaming)

·
Registered
123 Posts
The reason I asked was because my Transformer Prime has been my only Android tablet and now with 4.1 (cold boot, install update, cold boot, and then factory reset) it seems to run as good as my 2 year old iPad.

Asus really did a poor job. After 10 months of ownership and multiple updates the browser does not hang anymore. I wonder if it is because of flash not being installed?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I might get myself the next version. I've had a 1st Gen. iPad, but I didn't like how restrictive it was, and every iOS update seemed to make it more unstable. So I sold it.

Based on the many comments I've read, Android updates seem to make things better, not worse. And I already have various Asus products that work perfectly for the most part (one Netbook has a broken SD slot).

The only thing I might have preferred is a dual-core model, with each core twice as powerful as the individual cores in the current quad-core design. If you only do one thing at a time, and any secondary process running in the background is light on the CPU cycles, I feel you can accomplish a whole lot more if the core that was available to you was more powerful. I've always felt that quad-core processors on handheld devices were more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

Anyway. My opinion.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
As an owner of the first EEE PC, I think this transformer is just as good. I have 14 computer or items that have computer cores and they are all ASUS motherboards. Before the EEEPC, I had a pocket pc the A731 by ASUS.

The only thing negative about ASUS is this: They tend to forget the older stuff pretty quick. If you have something in your hands that is fairly recent, you might have 1 year max before it is deemed discontinued.

Like Francois said, my opinion.

Having said that, I really like my Android tablet.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's the main reason why I haven't bought the Transformer yet. Asus keeps pumping out new products all the time, making it very difficult to find the right moment to buy the product that you want. Do I really want to buy that Transformer now? What if the next model is only a month away from being released?

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Sadly, I would be willing to say yes. If it isn't it can't be too far from being discontinued.

Still like my tablet though. I thought I was going to play many games on it but it is mainly used to surf the web and play around with my CCTV system.

·
Registered
89 Posts
that's why I chose to invest in the Infinity. the os will evolve but I chose to jump in when the hardware reached a certain threshold - combine the quad core & top-shelf screen, I felt this was a good time.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
while I'm sure the screen is technically better on the infinity, the picture quality on my TP is fantastic. running Plex on it is a fantastic experience

watching live tv is still a work in progress though

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Don't fool yourself tgreg. If something comes up better than the infinity and ASUS wants to be on top with their product, your item will be old just like any other tablets these days. The market is evolving so rapidly that I would be surprised to see your infinity go past one year before it is considered old.

One word of advice: cherish it while you can.... ;)

61 - 80 of 96 Posts