Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Asus router is set for automatic updates, assume that includes firmware I changed internet providers about 2 months ago. went from 60 / 10 with VMedia ( Cogeco cables) and now at 500 / 500 fibre with MNSi in Windsor area. My 5G wifi signal (iPhone 7) has been between steady 160- 200 Mbps always, but has dropped to 50 - 70 Mbps in the last 3 weeks. Nothing physically has changed in my house, same location and no extra devices. I even tried limiting most devices to 5 Mbps, blocking other guest's devices. My new service provider verified twice now that I am getting 500 Mbps coming into my home. Tech said perhaps being radio signals maybe something outside my home is now affecting my wifi inside my home ? He also suggested a "repeater" but if signal is that low 8 feet from the router , what would that help ? I cannot connect hardwired to my router and test the 5G as suggested, my laptop is not 5G. Anyone experience a drop in speed for no apparent reason and fixed the issue ? Any ideas, simple tests I can try ?

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Try connecting a computer directly to your Internet connection, to see if it's also slow. BTW, there's no such thing as "5G" Wi-Fi, as that's a cell network term. Wi-Fi is moving to "Wi-Fi 6".

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
"5G Wi-Fi" is a term sometimes used (erroneously) for Wi-Fi 5, aka 802.11ac. It is 5th generation wifi but it's not "5G." "Wi-Fi 6" is the new term adopted for 802.11ax which should be available on new devices in the next year or two. It will not provide a lot of benefit over Wi-Fi 5 for most people so there is no need to pay extra to get it immediately.

The most likely thing that has happened is that the phone has switched from the 5GHz band, which can provide a 600Mbps or higher connection, to the 2.4GHz band, which usually maxes out with a 150Mbps connection. Actual speeds are typically about half the connection speed or slower. That can happen because most devices will lock onto the strongest signal, which is often 2.4GHz. This could be an ongoing issue if the 5GGhz and 2.4Ghz band use the same SSID.

There are some ways to correct the issue. If the router supports band steering, make sure it is enabled. If that doesn't work or is not available, change the name of one of the SSIDs. For example, change the 2.4 GHz SSID from MyWifi to MyWifi-2 or the 5GHz SSID to MyWifi-5. That way, 5GHz devices can be forced to use the 5GHz band and 2.4GHz only devices can remain on that band. Both SSIDs can be configured to take advantage of the fact the 2.4GHz has longer range and 5GHz higher bandwidth. Just be aware that the device may switch to 2.4GHz if the 5GHz signal is lost. I get around that by turning off auto-connect on the 2.4GHz band and connecting manually when required.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ExDilbert;

Correct, I should have used other wording I meant the 5 GHz band not 5 G. I have already identified the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands individually (SSID names) as suggested. I will change the auto connect of the 2.4 GHz to manual, I recall it being in "auto" still when hard wired to the router investigating things in the settings. But I usually look before performing a speed test that I am on the 5 MHz band, maybe is is still switching for the testing ? I will also look for the band steering, thanks for the suggestions.
One thing I forgot to mention is although not all are on at the same time , there are a total of 18 devices capable of using wi-fi in my home one being hard wired ( IP tv box ). I have actually added limits of 5 Mbps to all but 3 of them and 3-4 others are blocked as I cannot remove them from the list of devices. Is it possible that adding all those devices total or, placing limits to bandwith use on them is affecting overall performance now ?
Sorry for the rookie questions guys but it is frustrating when ALL was working great then suddenly without changes on my part....my 5 GHz speed drops to about 1/3. Will update

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Another possibility is that the router has switched to a narrower channel. 5GHz routers obtain higher bandwidth by using 40MHz or 80MHz channels instead of 20MHz channels. Routers I've seen have been set to auto-configure but the channel and channel width can usually be forced. Use a wifi analyzer app to find the clearest channel.

It should not be necessary to limit speeds on any devices. They will only affect overall bandwidth when it is being used. Most devices will use little or no bandwidth most of the time and will have little or no effect. It makes more sense to actually measure or monitor the bandwidth being used (if possible) in case a device has become defective and using too much. Another method to check for defective devices is to disconnect them temporarily. It might also makes sense to check for interference. Other wifi signals are easily found by installing a wifi analyzer on a smartphone or tablet. Some routers have wifi analyzers built in as well.

Other types of interference are more difficult to find and may require special equipment but interference at that frequency is not common. If interference is the issue, it's more likely that a neighbor has installed a bunch of webcams or similar higher bandwidth device. That can often be remedied by changing channels.

One common type of network interference is called a broadcast storm. That's caused when 2 or more devices form a loop that keep repeating packets. I've done this accidentally by enabling two network connections on a device, for example wifi plus a LAN NIC, on a PC. There can be other causes such as looping network connections, or a defective or a misconfigured network switch or router. All network performance, even wired connections, will degrade significantly when this happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts