Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have gotten confused on how HDTV manufacturers all call their aspect ratio settings with different terms ? I have three different sets and every company uses a different term.

Some newer sets have an "Auto Aspect Ratio" setting which selects the native source automatically and some sets you have to set it for every channel.

This is what I gather it means, feel free to add your input.

No Scale = No idea what this is ? Native/Source ??? seems to make the picture very small
Normal = 4:3
Full = 16:9/Full Screen/Wide
Pan Scan = 4:3 selective
Zoom = Enlarge, but missing side contents

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
My Sony set has something like that Auto Aspect. I turned it off. I always watch in the original aspect ratio and never stretch an image. I will zoom one that's letterbox widescreen. My Sharp TV has a view mode button on the remote for various stretch modes, but I don't recall seeing auto anything on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
57 has this covered quite well in his FAQs. Check out his dedicated FAQ.

I have seen lots of labels over the years. I usually keep toggling them until I can determine what is happening. If you have a PVR it helps to pause on a static image. Of course if you have a test image then you can be certain.

The first one you mention is usually one-to-one. That is if the incoming image is 720x480 (i.e. SD) you can expect on a 1080 or 768 panel it to occupy the middle part of the screen. No zooming (scale) no cropping.

Some of the wide screen settings appear to be nearly the same but crop 4% off the image. This is easy to observe on an HD newscast with a ticker. Normally there is a strip under the ticker but if set to "exact" or "just" it will appear to shrink the image slightly and the strip will become nearly as wide as the ticker. Also, depending on the source the various settings will behave differently.

I have never seen PAN SCAN in action. That was particular to DVD players playing widescreen DVDs on a 4:3 display. The technology was never adopted by the content producers. At least none of the DVDs I watched back in the day contained it.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
From my experience on an LCD HDTV from external sources:
No Scale = No idea what this is ? Native/Source ??? seems to make the picture very small
My set (32") doesn't have that. I can suppose what it does is display the picture at its native resoution (or that of its video signal) on the middle of the screen, basically meaning on a 1920x1080 screen and an SD video source, you see a 640x480 box with the video. It is much the same as playing a video or photo on your computer in its native resolution, and it plays in a small window.
Normal = 4:3
The video source (assumed) is fit to the full height of the screen (3 units high), and the width to a 4:3 frame (4 units wide). With a full 4:3 picture, you get bars on the side. If it is letterboxed at the source, you get bars on the top bottom also.
Full = 16:9/Full Screen/Wide
The video frame takes the whole height and width of the screen. Of course, if the picture is not anamorphic, it will be horizontally stretched.
Pan Scan = 4:3 selective
I am not sure. How I think it would work is that it cuts a widerscreen aspect (zoomed to full height) than the TV can display, by using an embedded signal to indicate where to cut, or by analyzing the picture to guess where to cut.

Zoom = Enlarge, but missing side contents
Zoom, on most TVs I think, zooms the 4:3 field to the full width

Read your TV manual, it should use pictures to describe how those modes work.

To add, on the 5xx Shaw Direct receivers Aspect modes:
nor: Normal
Str: Horizontally stretches a 4:3 frame to the TV.
Zoom:Both Horizontally and vertically stretches a 4:3 picture to attempt to fit a letterboxed 4:3 picture. For some reason the vertical stretch does not stretch enough.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Here's the FAQ on the topic with some of the names from various manufacturers. The FAQ also discusses when you can/should use the various modes. Post 2 contains discussion on the most recent 0% overscan modes mentioned by Michael_TLV below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074 Stretch/zoom modes

Although you can use some of these modes to eliminate black bars on the TV, one needs to realize that it's perfectly normal to see black bars on the sides of 4:3 programming and bars above and below movies that are 2.35:1 aspect. If you zoom/stretch these images, the picture quality goes down (sometimes significantly) and you can also get distortion and/or lose part of the image depending on what you're stretching/zooming.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089 Black Bars

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

For the people with 1080p displays ... one wants the following settings on the following TVs.

Sony ... Full Pixel
Panasonic ... HD Size 2
Samsung ... Screen Fit
LG ... Just Scan
Pioneer ... Dot by Dot
Sharp ... Dot by Dot

For BD material this is the best setting to take advantage of the 2 millions+ pixels that BD has to offer.

Any other setting and you are effectively getting 1 million pixels of image detail ... or something slightly better than 720p.

All sets come out of the box delivering this 720p quality even if they are 1080p sets. This setting has to be manually invoked to restore the resolution/detail.

regards

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@75 & Michael TLV: Thanks for your input, but the reason I started this post was because of the Aspect Ratio setting in my Viewsonic N3735W which has No Scale, Normal, Full, Letterbox, Zoom and Panoramic as its aspect ratio options. It seems it is able to distinguish HD(Full) and SD(Normal) content automatically after an auto scan even though there is no auto aspect ratio setting in both the default and factory menus, but a certain condition I am experiencing makes me question what is really happening. On ch 33.1HD I would get a squished pillar box when set to "Normal" and ch 3.2SD would be in SD and vice versa depending on which of these channels I change the aspect ratio. When I changed the setting for ch33.1HD to "Full", ch 3.2SD changes to "full" as well even though it is SD content this is what baffles me ! It seems like this is only happening with these two channels only. I don't get this phenom with my Sammy or LG.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Software bug ... unfortunate ... but it happens sometimes.?

If SD content is upconverted to HD at the source ... the tv won't be able to tell the difference between the now hd material and real hd material. Signal type is the same.

regards

·
Registered
620 Posts
On my new Sony, it took me a while to find the Full Pixel setting and I didn't change it for maybe a month. On my LG, it was easy to find and was one of the first things I changed. I thought my Sony picture was very very good before I changed it, now it's more like, wow. I'm happy to leave it on the Full Pixel setting even though I get the line of interference on the top of the screen on the odd TV program.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts