Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got 2 new sony 710's a few days ago and they both have problems getting channel 4.1 (tvfool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=da320cc350a7a4 ). 2 cheap Insignia converter boxes show nearly full bars. The 3 tuners in my linux computer are also able to get 4.1 when the TV's can't, though at times there are a few glitches. The TV's are able to lock when the signal reads around 12-15. Full bar is 100. Also, it shows the IF-AGC and for 4.1 it runs around 65-75% while the other channels are 30-50%

All the other channels transmitting from the same location show full or near full bar on the tv's. So if the TV's are having problems with multi-path signals, it seems they would have problems with all the channels at that location.

I tried re-aiming the antenna which didn't help. At night we can see the lights on the towers and I tired sighting down the antenna to align it. Didn't help.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
You don't mention your location. However, multi-path is dependent on frequency, so it's entirely possible one channel may be significantly affected, but not another. There could also be interference from another source. Also, what's the actual, not displayed, channel number. It could be one channel is on VHF low and the others are on VHF high or UHF. VHF low is more likely to experience interference problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I included a link to tvfool for my location. It says my location down to zip code. It also list all the channels in the area, direction from me and real channel numbers and distance.

In reaming the north facing antenna which is a uhf/vhf combo, I lost the channel 13.1 for a bit. It seems the stronger 13.1 which is on real 32 got named 32.3 by the tv instead of giving it the real number. So to get back the one numbered 13.1 I tried adding a West facing vhf only antenna because that 13 is on 13. But for some reason it picked up enough 58.1 which is on real 44 to almost kill the signal dispite a uhf only facing simi- south to that station. Attached is a pick of the antennas. The top most one was removed and is what I tried to put back in at the bottom to face west. the rest where moved up. Guess it wasn't directional enough.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the problem, there are 2 ch 4's also and the one to the west is getting picked up which uses real ch4 and the tv gives that one 4.x and the 4's on real 23 it is giving another number. Don't seem to be a way to change that ether. I found out because when I rescaned on one of the tv's, it didn't pick up the real 4, so it named the 23 version 4.x

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
That would definitely cause the problem! Glad you resolved the issue.

Unfortunately there is no consistency with how various tuners resolve these data conflicts. Even different tuners/TVs sold by the same manufacturer handle conflicts differently. This leads to confusing situations such as yours...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts