Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been trying to follow the rollout of receivers this year . I’d like to upgrade my Yamaha 1050 to something i can plug everything into and take advantage of my 4K tv and PS5 . I know Costco sells a Yamaha , Denon has a 960H , Onkyo has one . I’m in a smaller town , and Best Buy and visions are our top stores. Is it worth waiting a little bit longer ? My budget would be around $1000. Thanks for any input .

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I've had good experiences with Costco and their prices are usually competitive. They have a very good return policy and offer a free extended warranty on some electronics. The main issue is a limited selection of brands and models. I try to avoid Best Buy if possible. The only reason to wait is if new models will provide currently unavailable features, or end of model year or other types of sales are imminent.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
It looks like Yamaha has traded off amplifier section quality in exchange for more features. While it's not a bad amp, there should be much better ones available for a little more money.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Leeboy - try posting in avsforum.com - they will have specific answers on your question (Me - I think the Denon would do the job well)
Good luck

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The two Yammys at Costco , this being the better https://www.costco.ca/yamaha-rx-v6a-home-theater-receiver.product.100702623.html still the reviews are not that great . When I fed my ps5 into the tv direct , I could only output 5.1 through my 1050. This kinda why I’m looking for a upgrade .
If you have the money, this is the receiver that shows what Yamaha can do...this is from their Aventage line and is the only receiver I know that seems to have beat the HDMI 2.1 bug that plagued Denon, Onkyo and Marantz.
Yamaha 9.2 Avantage Home Theatre Receiver (RXA6A) | Visions Electronics Canada

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ive been trying to follow the rollout of receivers this year .
I ordered an Onkyo TR7100 last fall from Radio-Crafts in Calgary at a very friendly (provincial tax free) price relative to the likes of Best Buy et al. The receiver itself is very highly reviewed, although a bit on the high end of the price spectrum. Technically it has worked flawlessly and I really love the top-rated Dirac included room optimisation feature. Link posted below or google Radio-Crafts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts