Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just split my satellite to go to both my living room and bedroom. My 505 receivers remote in the living room is looking pretty beat up and I was wondering if I could somehow use the remote from my unused 207 receiver to control my 505 receiver and then just take my beat up looking remote and use that in my bedroom. The remotes look identical......button config etc.Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think so. The remote for my DSR315 works with my DSR-319. If your receivers are located in the same part of the house, you may find that keying into one remote will affect both televisions. But this can be fixed by changing the code of the remote such that it works only with the desired receiver.

Sorry....I'm 3200 miles from my Shaw receiver at this time, so I can't give you any further directions on how to do this......it's in your receiver manual, I believe, or someone else will chime in....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,
thanks for the reply. However, I dont think I articulated my problem quite right. When I point the 207 remote at the 505 receiver, it wont power it on. Is there any way to trick the 207 remote into thinking it's a 505 remote? Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey,
thanks for the reply. However, I dont think I articulated my problem quite right. When I point the 207 remote at the 505 receiver, it wont power it on. Is there any way to trick the 207 remote into thinking it's a 505 remote? Thanks for the help so far.
What is the MDL number on the back of the remote control? All of our receivers should be defaulted to the same address but it could have been switched to a different one. In this case, you can reprogram the remote control.

On your DSR505, go to Options - 6 - 4 - 3 - 2
You should now be in the Remote Control Address menu.
Look at the Current Address: it will be 4 digits.

You can now program the remote control to the receiver. The steps to do this are different for each remote. If you provide the MDL, I can look it up for you.

Jessica -Shaw Direct Employee

·
Registered
849 Posts
make sure the remote and receiver are on the same remote address. This is something you can change within the user setup.

Does the remote change channels and other functions, or just not power up?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
All the receivers use the same basic protocol and codes.

The older remotes will not offer interactive/DVR buttons though.

You need to have the address set correcly though. Just go to Options 6-4-3-2 as Jessica said. You can do that from the buttons on the receiver, then press Enter/Select on the remote when you get there.

I don't know what you neam by "split my satellite", but you do not split the coax line for a dual sat system, as you would get for HD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
any way to access options w/o remote in Shaww 630?

Hi, I was able to program the Shaw IR/RF 600 remote to control my TV and my TEAC av receiver. However, when I attempted to pair the remote to my Shaw 630, something went awry and now the remote isn't being recognized. I can't do anything. Is there anyway at all I can access the options menu for the 630 with no remote? With no front panel buttons.... I have researched this for hours online, but can't go forward... HELP!!!:confused:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi texmexgal,

Chances are the remote is now programmed to a different address than the receiver. You just need to try each address on the remote until you find the one the receiver is set on.

With that remote/receiver combination, codes 000-007 are available.

1) Hold down ENTER and MUTE on the remote until the Sat/TV/Aux buttons flash in succession.
2) Enter the first code (e.g. 000). Press ENTER on the remote and watch for a light to flash on the front of the receiver, indicating a successful match.
3) If nothing happens, repeat steps 1 and 2 until you have a successful match. Try codes 001, 002 ...all the way to 007.

Once the remote/receiver are paired back up, if you need to change the address again (e.g. to prevent interference with a neighbours remote), press OPTIONS 6-4-3-2. Then hold ENTER and MUTE again, enter the desired address (000-007) and press ENTER to pair the remote and the receiver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Suggest this be added to troubleshooting Ir/RF 600 remote

Thank you for the prompt reply. I was determined to solve this. I knew that I had programmed the wrong address into the remote, but, of course, couldn't use it to correct the mistake.

I was also amazed that there are no buttons on the front of this box! I could have corrected this very quickly had they been there. Very frustrating to know exactly what had happened and not have a way to correct it!

I was following directions in the 600 Programming and Operating Instructions and I guess my finger slipped or something, as I had successfully programmed the TV and Aux. I feel it would be useful to add your steps to that section, so that one could regain control easily (as is done in section 10: Master Power).

I might also suggest that this be added to the troubleshooting section of the IR/RF 600 remote and/or the DSR 630. That was where I went first, to no avail. I would imagine that this has happened to others.

Again, thank you so much for the reply!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi texmexgal,

Awesome, I'm glad it's working again. We've just finished up on a new remote manual which provides the programming instructions in a different format which will hopefully make them easier to follow in the future. We'll also look at what can be added to the 630 User Guide, as mentioned.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts