Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
In the CRTC's last ruling, since the original UBB ruling, they allowed Bell's request to disallow the sale of $5 GB blocks, aka 'insurance'. Bell then filed another request to lower the caps to 25GB (for 5Mb) and raise rates from $1.50/GB to $2/GB. The whole thing stinks of 'good old boys' favoritism by the CRTC. Maybe they thing that Teksavvy will go away but I don't see it happening. If anything, independent ISPs are going to put up some real competition to Bell. Meanwhile, Ontario consumers are going to get screwed by Bell since it will take time to put alternatives in place.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Official Tek statement

Via email today. One thing it doesn't cover, though, is the big increase in dry loop charges that Bell is also implementing.

Usage Based Billing-UBB

As some of you know, the CRTC recently rendered a decision forcing all independent DSL and Cable Internet providers to substantially match incumbent (like Bell) usage rate caps. This will influence all of our internet service packages eventually, but DSL residential customers in Ontario and Quebec first, as of March 1. Along with you, we are not pleased with this, and our view is more fully expressed in our press release which you can find here: http://www.teksavvynews.com/

From March 1 on, users of the up to 5 Mbps packages in Ontario can expect a usage cap of 25GB (60GB in Quebec), substantially down from the 200GB or unlimited deals TekSavvy was able to offer before the CRTC's decision to impose usage based billing. *Users who were on unlimited package rates will be returned to $31.95 capped rates although larger blocks of bandwidth can be purchased.*

In order to facilitate this transition we have constructed a new easy-to-navigate portal at https://myworld.teksavvy.com where our customers can choose from the amended and new packages.
The details of our new rate plans and charges can be found there. You will be able to register using the account information found at the end of this email. *More on the portal below. *In addition, in order to accommodate these changes, we have amended our Terms of Service, primarily regarding implementation. The amended Terms form part of your Agreement with TekSavvy and can be viewed at https://secure.teksavvy.com/en/termspolicies.asp.

Please note if you do not choose a new service before March 1, 2011, your existing package will be transitioned into an amended package. Existing packages and the ones they will be replaced with in each case can be found at http://teksavvy.com/en/faq-ubb_on.asp for Ontario and http://teksavvy.com/en/faq-ubb_qc.asp for Quebec.

Content and data like Netflix, YouTube, IPTV, large file downloads or other streaming services can consume large amounts of bandwidth and place your cap limits in jeopardy very quickly. *We encourage you to monitor your usage carefully, as the CRTC has imposed a very high overage rate, above your new monthly limit, of $1.90 per gigabyte ($2.35 per gigabyte in Quebec).

The CRTC did however provide an option for insurance usage blocks at $4.75 per 40GB block per month, which can be purchased if you want to reduce your cost for use above 25GB (60GB in Quebec).

Ontario and Quebec up to 5 Mbps users with a monthly limit of 25GB and 60GB respectively:

Insurance Blocks Offered:

**** $4.75 - 40GB extra usage
**** $9.50 - 80GB extra usage
**** $14.25 - 120GB extra usage (maximum 3 blocks)
**** $55.00 - 275GB extra usage (maximum 240GB extra usage in Quebec)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm not sure why the the price jumps so dramatially after 120GB/3 blocks of usage. I regularly approach the current 200GB limit - I guess I'll just have to drastically change my internet download habits or pay up.

Does anyone know if the cable UBB rates will be identical to DSL?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I'm sure once Rogers starts UBB on third party internet customers it will likely be just as unreasonable as Bell's rates.

The thing I don't get is why is the CRTC allowing 60GB for Quebec and 25GB for Ontario. What is the reason for this?

For those that are unhappy with this recent decision, please right to your MP and also right to Minister of Industry; Tony Clement. Don't just sign useless online petitions, take a few moments and right to your MPs

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The good news is that legacy customers, customers since 2007, can keep their old plans for an extra $5/mo. I wouldn't be surprised if the $5 goes directly to Bell but it's still better than paying UBB at 25GB. Any changes to the account since 2007 or in the future will result in loss of legacy status. I am also guessing that Bell will raise the $5 fee in future to try and force legacy customers to plans with lower caps.

60GB for Quebec and 25GB for Ontario. What is the reason for this?
It's due to the competition. I'm guessing that Bell and Rogers have an agreement for a 25GB cap in Ontario and Quebec cable companies are refusing to go below 60GB. If such an agreement exists, it would be tantamount to price fixing and probably illegal. The problem is that, unlike the US and Europe, the Canadian government rarely bothers to do anything about price fixing and other anti-competitive practices.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm not sure why the the price jumps so dramatially after 120GB/3 blocks of usage.
That's the way Bell sells it to its retail customers so by definition that is the way it will be sold to customers of TPIA providers.

60GB for Quebec and 25GB for Ontario. What is the reason for this?
That's the way Bell sells it to its retail customers so by definition that is the way it will be sold to customers of TPIA providers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been watching this for a while - last year I already received a notice from primus about rate changes and I wanted to see how teksavvy was going to handle their customers - the rates are essentially the same.

I just wanted to tip you off to another way of expressing concerns.

By calling bell directly, it costs them to receive your "support" call and hear your complaints.

The more people who call them to complain, the more they will realize that the $5 per 40 GB is not worth receiving complaint calls.

Of course this is in addition to contacting your CRTC, MPP and MP.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts