Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any word on new Teksavvy DSL rates and policies now that UBB is a given.

I've heard some say that older customers will be grandfathered although frankly I don't believe it.

Primus today notified unlimited customers that their DSL service was changing and apparently Bell is starting to inform customers so my guess is that Teksavvy will be dropping a bombshell in coming days.

Hope I'm wrong but...

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I haven't heard of anything yet, hugh. Lots of people bitching elsewhere that Teksavvy seems to have clammed up on the issue, after being very open about it previously.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Unlimited customers, since 2007, will be protected from Bell's UBB. Whether the ISP passes it on is up to them. Primus isn't even subject to Bell's GAS surcharge in some areas, they are just implementing UBB for all their customers. Teksavvy will pass the exemption on, as long as it applies. They are as upset as anyone else about the UBB decision since it seriously undermines their ability to compete. If Teksavvy can find a way around Bell's UBB surcharge, they will.

I don't see an easy way around UBB. It could involve major investment, such as building a parallel GAS network and co-locating equipment in every CO. That's not cheap. Providing cable internet is an option but then they are subject to possible surcharges from Rogers.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unlimited customers, since 2007, will be protected from Bell's UBB.
How do you know this? Was this part of the CRTC decision?

·
Registered
275 Posts
UBB was being delayed until all Bell Unlimited customers were moved off their plans. To get around this, the grandfather date of February 1, 2007 was offered (the date Bell ended unlimited plans) to all third party ISPs and as such the CRTC approved UBB to start soon. They make a distinction between metered and unmetered plans in the recently filed tariffs.

It gets almost 4 years of third party unlimited subscribers under UBB so Bell is happier with that than waiting for the last hold outs to give in.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the explanation Markf.

So it would appear that most Teksavvy DSL customers (since I suspect most signed up after Feb 2007) will eventually suffer the same fate as those at other 3rd party wholesalers.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've been with Teksavvy since 2003 and have been on the 200GB plan since 2004. Any protection with that? No way says the CRTC. Then they leave a loophole as wide as a freight train to let Bell chop the cap from 60GB to 25GB. I feel betrayed.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
markf already answered in post #6.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been with Teksavvy since 2003 and have been on the 200GB plan since 2004. Any protection with that? No way says the CRTC. Then they leave a loophole as wide as a freight train to let Bell chop the cap from 60GB to 25GB. I feel betrayed.
As per my Understanding they have to pay Bell Wholesale rate for each line, Data will be as per Speed, Right now 3rd Party can't offer more than 5 MB as Bell is disupting Higher Speed and CRTC will rule on that decision this year as forced by INDUSTRY MINISTER, so with 5 or 6 MB you will only get 25 GB Data with extra data for $5 = 40 GB or $10 = 80 GB & $15 = 120 GB.

Once Higher Speed of 10MB or 12 MB is avaliable then they will offer 50GB included with same Usage Insurance of $5 (40GB) to $15 (120GB).

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The 'insurance' provision was reversed by the CRTC. It will not be available with other ISPs on Bell's GAS network. In the meantime, the only option is 5Mb/s with a 25GB cap and $2/GB over that (up to $60.)

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Any word on new Teksavvy DSL rates and policies now that UBB is a given.
Since I was considering moving to Teksavvy, I asked them about this directly.

I received an official "can't comment at this time" message from the sales team stating that things are not final yet.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The comment I heard from a company official on another forum was "this thing is far from over", which is somewhat comforting.

BTW, @fmdream, my Tek modem is provisioned at 7Mbps, which is the maximum Bell can offer at the same rural address, so don't think there's a 5Mbps limitation

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell can provide faster speeds, they just refuse to do so. The 7Mb speed is a mistake. More often than not, Bell will reset the DSLAM to 3Mb when 5Mb is possible.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I received an official "can't comment at this time" message from the sales team stating that things are not final yet.
How can things not be final? The CRTC made the decision in late October. Sounds like Teksavvy is playing games.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Teksavvy is still fighting the CRTC ruling and some of its key provisions. They are not often this quiet. Rocky is usually very open but I would guess that there are legal reasons why he cannot comment on the case.

Teksavvy does not deserve any criticism for their handling of UBB. They have spent a lot of effort and money fighting Bell's UBB application on behalf of Teksavvy's customers and Canadians in general. Rocky is an advocate of open business and has frequently communicated with his (Teksavvy's) customers in the past. He would comment if he could.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Things are not final. Yes the CRTC made the decision however they have yet to establish how all this is going to work which may not happen until March.

Here's a snippet from the Teksavvy forum on DSLReports posted on Dec 22:

The simple answer is that we will alert people once we know what the hell is going on. We'll give as much notice as we can but it's not looking like we'll be afforded much more then a month's worth.. we just don't know what the final details are and until we do. we can't make any decisions.

The start date has been pushed back.. but we're not sure if it's by a month of by 3 months.

We are working hard to put whatever we could together as far as specifics for the end of december but it was pushed back as mentioned above.

The internal effort so far has looked something like this: "ok, so we need to implement UBB, ok, so how is it going to work. We don't know yet. What's it going to cost, we don't know yet. When will it start, we don't know yet."

So then we got into; ok well what's the worse case scenario, it appears to be when the user goes over 300 gig or whatever the max is before the rate gets completely retarded.

right. it's retarded. yes. it's retarded. no that's not appropriate. it's obscene.

man. we need to make changes to our systems and we don't know what we have to build? yes. suck it up. I don't like it either.

then we got into, man. so like, basically we need to start financing this stuff too. this is something we've never really done before. yep. there's insurance you can buy. but once that's past, basically, we need to make sure we can at least cover what bell will charge us. do we know in real time what bell will charge us? nope. we have to assume their radius logs are doing the same thing ours is? yep.

what is their radius setup like anyway? we don't know, or at least, it's not clear.

ok so. well. we need a way to make sure we don't get screwed over this. yes. that would be nice.. a business that doesn't actively paddle into the red.

so then we started looking into how we bill individually. if we bill users from their start/activation date.. but then what happens if bell charges us from the beginning of each month for each user. what if a user cancels and sticks us with the usage bill? good question.

anyway... it's been a shitty ordeal.

so after many discussion, we picked a hypothetical situation where there are essentially 3 levels of warning. the first is when you are about to go over.. we want a way to let people know. the second is when you go over, we need a way to acknowledge payment. and the third is where we're like "ok, hold the fort, this guy may cost us a thousand dollars (because, the CRTC approved these obscene rates), we need to block this guy until we have money in our hands."

now. this was simply an exercise in choosing "a path", so that we could start to build "something". the assumption was that we would at least have the bulk of the tools in hand and we could simply rewrite stuff to work a bit differently.

we've been playing around with our erx's to see about redirecting http traffic to a walled garden. we've been playing with the idea of rate limiting so that if somebody was over, we could at least let them check email and stuff. these are just ideas we're playing with.. we may or may not use some of these things. We're not ready either way..

this stuff aside though... I have to say gang that this all takes quite a bit of time. I've basically spent the last two hours trying to make sense of this one single thread. I'm even thinking now that I shouldn't post this.. it seems lately that no good deed goes unpunished. anyway. this is quite literally, everything I know at this point.
--
TSI Marc - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DdDave posted links from the for the new tariff schedule from Bell, submitted on Dec 14th.

Those documents suggest the implementation date would be moved to March 1st and that rates would change from the numbers put forth last March, however, nothing I`ve seen suggests that TekSavvy can do much.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a copy of the official document sent out by bell and it does say March 1st 2011 as the start date. Also they say grandfathered accounts can remain active as unlimited but the price is going to go up... It gives time for isp's to "move customers on grandfathered accounts to UBB", so its up to the ISP if they want to move customers over to UBB or increase the rates for those people...

5Mbps accounts will be changed over 2011 to 6Mbps accounts if supported.

As of the dec 14th filing bell requested a change in from a maximum overage charge of 30 to $60 and lowered the caps to 25GB on high speed.

Also overages can be bought in blocks of 40GB's, and can be bought through the month but will be prorated... so if you know you are going to go over, you call your isp in the middle of the month to increase your cap, they can, but you will only get 20GB for that $5... so if you get it at the beginning of the month you will get the full cap...

This will apply to all ISP's using Bell's wholesale network, so Teksavvy won't be any different in the sense of what Bell is billing them, how they decide to pass this onto their customers is their choice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts