Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday in Scaborough we had a power outage for over an hour. When the power came back on my wife was complaining that the TV wasn't working. But the problem was that my receiver, a Yamaha HTR-6060, lost it's settings such as what video and audio inputs get mapped to Video-aux which is connected to my HTPC, etc.

Is this a problem with my receiver or is this common? I have another Yamaha receiver which is lower end but it seemed to retain it's settings.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
AVRs should retain their settings indefinitely. Perhaps the outage caused a surge which altered the settings. Were all of the settings changed, or just one? Sometimes it may send the AVR into the default settings I suppose.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of the settings went back to default as far as I can tell. This has happened before as well and I am pretty sure that the AVR is plugged into a UPS which should help with the surge, if nothing else.

All of my input renaming was also lost - for example HDMI-1 by default is something like DVD. I renamed it to XBOX360. HDMI-2 which be default is, let's say, Video Aux was renamed to SageTV. Component 3 which is normally DTV/CBL I renamed to Rog Cbl and I mapped Optical Audio In 1 to this Source.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Well, with your STB going too, I suggest you had a spike at the start of the outage or the restart of the power. You can't blame the equipment for this one. It's either Hydro or something in your home.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's certainly very possible but I checked and the AVR is plugged into a UPS so that should have helped protect it from a surge.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
If you don't mind the risk of losing your settings again, you can always try physically unplugging your AVR for some time, then plugging it back in and check if it retains the settings (my assumptions are that it will).

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
That's certainly very possible but I checked and the AVR is plugged into a UPS so that should have helped protect it from a surge.
This would be considering that UPS is in tip top shape. How old is the UPS and how long ago was it tested and maintenance performed? Like cars, alarm systems, alarm clocks (anything that has back-up batteries), UPS batteries eventually fails and need replacement in order to operate properly.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the two week response in getting back, but even if there were issues with the battery this should not affect the ability of the UPS to stop power surges should it? I can see a bad battery causing you to have zero backup time or for the UPS to not provide power.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have read about problems like this being due to a capacitor in the AVR being blown. It is supposed to supply power to the AVR's memory for up to a few days without external power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts