Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are quite a few threads lately in the "Deals" section about Daytek TVs sold at Costco.

Their LCD TVs seem to be almost half the price of other brands for the same size.

Are Daytek TVs good quality and reliable or "do you get what you pay for". I haven't been able to find to many reviews for them.

I'm looking to get a second TV for the family room, used mostly by the kids so any reviews from Daytek owners would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am an early adopter...as such, I purchased a Daytek 15" flat panel monitor almost five years ago. I recently sold it, but it was still working as well as the day it came out of the box...I was very happy with it.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Poor Daytek tv quality

I don't see what all the hype is over these TVs...

My dad just bought the 42" plasma Daytek (@ costco) and the picture was terrible! so pixilated, and it almost looked like the picture was ghosting (something I thought only happened on lcds).... so through reading these forums, it seemed like switching over to digital cable, from analog would increase quality.

That did very little however. Any suggestions? Thank-you!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Have you set it up properly with a test disc?

Digital cable is no guarantee of improved quality ... just more channels squeezed into a smaller space.

What does DVD look like?

Regards

·
Registered
24 Posts
I echo what Michael TLV just said. Digital cable is not necessarily better quality broadcasts. All it means is that they use compression technology to provide you more channels over the same sized cable line (someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong).

Play a DVD and let us know whether the picture is better. The picture quality should be without a doubt - I purchased the Daytek about 2 weeks ago and the DVD quality is excellent whereas my BEV is only alright.

·
Registered
143 Posts
scottt57 said:
Are Daytek TVs good quality and reliable or "do you get what you pay for". I haven't been able to find to many reviews for them.
I think the answer would be "That depends."

Daytek/Daewoo seem to source their product from various OEMs. For instance, the 32" LCD appears to be manufactured by Dicon. The DT-3220 is among their product listings and, if you look at their Company Info /History, they say they "2005. 05 Exported US$1,600,000 for 'K'company in Canada".

As with alot of these products, it's not easy to figure out who makes them unless you open them up.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
lorenzow said:
I think the answer would be "That depends."

Daytek/Daewoo seem to source their from various OEMs. For instance, the 32" LCD appears to be manufactured by Dicon. The DT-3220 is among their product listings and, if you look at their Company Info /History, they say they "2005. 05 Exported US$1,600,000 for 'K'company in Canada".

As with alot of these products, it's not easy to figure out who makes them unless you open them up.

Hehe - I like the english translations on the specs....reminds me of a trip we did to Cuba...we needed to purchase some "After Sun" aloe cream...the desciption read "helps skin heal from sunbeams" :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
And, by the way, I bought the Daytek DT-3220 and have no regrets. I was surprised at the feature set and picture quality for that price. I'm tempted to buy another one even though I don't really need it. Hopefully they'll offer the 37" version before I give in to temptation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same here. I've had the DT-3220 for less than a month, but it still seems like a great LCD TV for the price. Still too early to talk about reliability, though.

My only real beef : I would like to flip more easily between VGA and DVI inputs. The DT-3220 requires me to hit the menu key, browse to the PC Input item and choose DVI or RGB. A bit annoying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought one too 2 days ago! My regular tv look real bad, but I'm just using a regular indoor tv antenna lol. I use it mostly for DVD's. Once setup properly the picture is amazing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
got mine 2 days ago. As soon as I turned it on, I got my worst nightmare on a brand new TV. A huge stuck red pixel in the center. I coudn't get my eyes off it! I was real pissed!! Thx to Costco, they have a 30 days satisfaction policy. So I returned the TV the days after, even though stuck-pixels are not covered by the warranty. They gave me a new one with no question asked barely, the exchange went like a charm. The new one has every pixels working fine. Now I'm happy. I just love it. And also when I bought it it just went down another 100$!! Now at Costco DT3220 1 199.99$!!! Nothing can compare to that TV at that price!! And the picture is amazing!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any image ghosting problems on these?

Anyone notice image ghosting on these? The new ones claim 8ms response time and that sounds great. Can you see ghosting at all on TV? Xbox 360?

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've only played Halo for PC and Halo2 and Perfect Dark Zero on XBox 360. I didn't notice any ghosting or motion blur on any of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
lorenzow said:
I've only played Halo for PC and Halo2 and Perfect Dark Zero on XBox 360. I didn't notice any ghosting or motion blur on any of them.
Nice!
I have Perfect dark zero, PGR, NFSMW, and Call of Duty 2 for my xbox 360.
Can't wait to see them in HD. My 8 year old 32" SDTV is showing it's age...

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think you get what you pay for...i waqs looking at that tv...picture was good...but i waited saved a little longer and bought a panny, NO comparying the two

·
Registered
143 Posts
I traded in my 32" Daytek for the 40". It is, essentially, the same TV with a bigger LCD panel and different styling. I'll be playing a lot of Halo 2 and PDZ tonight and decide whether or not it's worth keeping.

·
Registered
99 Posts
looking forward to hearing your review on the 40 inch daytek. i think that is the tv to buy, based soley on research. however, i'd love to hear more from you to help me further in my decision. the price sure is sweet, and from what i read, the technology of it is pretty sound. just hope it has lasting pow

1 - 20 of 160 Posts