Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running. Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can.
Having an outage over a holiday weekend is especially bad.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yeah, the way day in weeks that i really need it, too. Bought Portal2 today and i need to link my PSN accout to the Steam account

·
Registered
184 Posts
The day I just bought a new router. Everything was working except PSN.
I thought there was a strange setting, now I find out it was an outage.
Wasted 25 minutes working on it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah they finally updated the error message today. The codes they usually display are completely useless for diagnosing problems.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the full deployment edition of SOCOM 4 yesterday... don't really care about SOCOM itself, but was looking forward to pick up a few move/shooter games on the PSN store - guess that'll have to wait.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've been having problems getting on PSN since last Friday, as well as having problems getting to blog.us.playstation.com and us.playstation.com, however, I was able to access community.us.playstation.com just fine. I think my problems were related to Prolexic's servers blocking my traffic; all three of the problem services go through their servers, and Sony had hired them to prevent the DDoS attacks from Anonymous.

Now, what I've been reading in various forums is that the current outtage isn't caused by a DDoS attack, but some are saying that the PSN store was compromised, and things were made free to buy. There's also a YouTube video from Anonymous telling Sony to watch out, because they're going to face their worst attack yet (April 16 is mentioned in the video).

Whatever the case, I hope that things can be worked out and we can get online again. I hold no ill-will against Sony, it's all directed at Anonymous.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It looks like it wasn't a denial of service. They updated today that the whole network was compromised and they've had to turn it off until they can confirm that things are cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't believe this outage is now on its 3rd day with no immediate end in sight. Of course with Sony's MO of providing as little information as possible when a disruption occurs, once it's back up, we're most likely to find out via reports from users first, rather than any official update from Sony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well they'll have to rebuild every machine that was possibly compromised and then pull the data from backups. All that takes a lot of time.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
this blows! i need to kill random pixels online!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
This has nothing to do with whether it's a paid service, or a free service. Their servers were compromised, so they pulled the plug and are putting things back together with added security. It's not like a new game came out and the servers couldn't handle it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
April 21st

While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running. Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can.
April 23

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.
We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.
So now at April 25th and still not up despite them saying it would be a day or two.

Very bad PR.

Sony should be communicating daily on this and be more honest with customers.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sony Playstation Network and Qriocity have about 75 million users. Don't know how many are active but that's a lot of users who didn't get online this past weekend.

In addition, to not knowing when they will be able to the use the service, many people now are wondering if their credit card information and other personal information has been compromised.

Considering the severity and the impact, Sony has really dropped the ball on communicating with customers and stained their reputation.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts