Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about how big I need to go to get C-Band in Eastern Ontario. I started looking at bigger Ku dishes to get a few extra channels to add to my OTA setup (RTV, Bio, History along with maybe NBC and some extra PBS stations).
While doing some research I've found that if I got a slightly larger dish and a scaler ring I might be able to get some C-Band birds as well. I'm able to put a BUD in my yard for a couple of reasons, the kids would climb it, there really isn't enough room and the trees on the property line are pretty tall. The roof is the only option I have open.
I was looking at a 39" dish from ******** to do C and Ku or should I just go with a smaller 33" for Ku and work on getting something bigger for C later on?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I know there are some folks who have had some decent success with 1.2m dishes for C-Band but I think that a 1m would be too small. Even with a 1.2m dish you can only expect to get the stronger transponders on C-Band. I'd recommend you get a good Ku system with a motor going and look at a proper C-Band setup later.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bigger is always better for Ku, but a specially for C band. With small dish any small change in weather anywhere between you and the satellite will affect reception. If you want History and Bio on 101w get 36" dish and pointed at 101w. You can add second LNB for 97w. It is the cheapest solution. If you want C band, go as high as feasible. With smaller dish you will be frustrated often. Playing with few OTA antennas to get channels from different locations is more fun and cheapest. C band equipment will be costly.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I decided to go with a smaller 33" dish for Ku and maybe one day I"ll get a bigger 8' for C.
I'm all over OTA, I'm looking to offset my OTA selection with some sat channels. RTV, Bio, History maybe an NBC as ours around here is iffy during the winter.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
You need at least a 1.2m dish with conical scalar ring for C band. However, only the stronger c-band channels can be received with such a dish. There is a fair selection out there however that can be received with a dish like this such as NASA and THIS TV on AMC 3 @ 87W, Various channels on Galaxy 17 @ 91W such as CW, FX and Fox Movie Channel, the US networks on Galaxy 16 @ 99W and more.

Alignment is critical with such a dish however so unless you are limited in the size of dish you can install, a 1.8 meter or larger dish is recommended.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Would someone please tell me if RFD is still available unencrypted in SD or HD at 103W I think.? Also if still free is the tp strong enough for a 1.0 meter dish.
Thanks

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
Would someone please tell me if RFD is still available unencrypted in SD or HD at 103W I think.? Also if still free is the tp strong enough for a 1.0 meter dish.
Thanks
Yes it is still available. However, a 1 meter dish won't cut it for this channel as this satellite in general is not so powerful. A 1.5 meter prime focus dish would be the absolute minimum I would use on this satellite with at least a 1.8 meter being recommended.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Seems OK here on my 7.5', it's SD.
Dunno if it'd come in on only a 1m dish, with conical scalar,
but there's ~ 1/2" of snow on roughly 1/2 the surface area of the reflector at the moment,
so could be a good sign for you.

Code:
PixlHD	AMC 1 	103°W 	3905 	V	4789 
RFD TV 	AMC 1 	103°W 	3915 	H 	4410

1 - 8 of 8 Posts