Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,405 Posts
@David1953 I agree with you on the very limited offering. Apple is starting at square zero and doesn't have the back catalog and development pipeline that media companies like Disney have. I suspect that most of their subscribers will be people that get the "free" 12 month subscription with the purchase of an Apple device. I kept seeing clips of Tim Cook saying "The price of a single movie rental. This is crazy!" - sounds like the guy has never heard of Netflix.

Here's what the press release says about closed captions.
Audiences worldwide can enjoy Apple TV+ originals subtitled and/or dubbed in nearly 40 languages, including Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing (SDH) or closed captions. Apple TV+ series and movies will also be available with audio descriptions in eight languages.
Device Support:
Apple TV+ will be available on the Apple TV app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD, Apple TV (3rd generation), iPod touch and Mac. Apple TV+ will also be available on the Apple TV app on select 2018, 2019 and newer Samsung smart TVs, and on Amazon Fire TV, LG, Roku, Sony and VIZIO platforms in the future. Customers can also subscribe to and watch Apple TV+ at tv.apple.com in Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

Customers with AirPlay 2-enabled Samsung, LG and VIZIO smart TVs must update to iOS 12.3 or later or macOS Catalina to play or mirror Apple TV+ originals from the Apple TV app on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac directly to their smart TVs. Customers with eligible Sony smart TVs will be able to enjoy AirPlay 2 support later this year.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm not sure where to post this, as there does not seem to be an AppleTV 4K thread, but I received the TVOS 13 update this weekend with quite a few new features including Apple Arcade and gaming controller support, multi-user Up Next lists, new home screen and more. There are also now 7 Apple TV channels, up from 4. They are OutTV, CBS All Access, IFC Films Unlimited, Acorn TV, Smithsonian Channel Plus, Tastemade, and MUBI.

More on TVOS 13 at https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/1/20893128/tvos-13-improvements-apple-tv-multi-user-support-xbox-playstation-home-screen.

The article mentions that you now have to press a button to power on the device. That one fooled me for a while. I was used to just touching the pad

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks. Now I see it at the bottom. I got sidetracked by a few trailers and never got to the bottom.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I purchased a new iPhone last week and remembered yesterday that gives me a free year subscription. Kinda strange the Apple employee nor Apple via email or iOS informed me of this. If I didn't read it in an article, I may have never found out about it.

Enabling the free subscription was hassle-free and so far have only watched a few episodes with my kid of Snoopy In Space but will check out the adult stuff over time.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I have started free 7 day trial for Apple TV + and I have zero interest in this service. Will be cancelling it before free trial expires.
I am more interested in Disney streaming service and may be subscribing to that one.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
@ticky

Hmm.. i am getting a new phone this week for work.. dont know if they include it for corporate.. but might be worth checking for me LOL.

·
Super Moderator
16,405 Posts
Apple TV App and Apple TV+ Now Available on 2019 LG TVs in More Than 80 Countries

LG TV customers can now enjoy Apple TV in addition to AirPlay 2 and HomeKit on all of LG's 2019 OLED TVs, NanoCell TVs (series SM9X and SM8X) and later this month, the Apple TV app will roll out on select UHD TVs (series UM7X and UM6X). The Apple TV app and Apple TV+ will be available on 2020 TVs at launch and on LG's 2018 TVs later this year via an over-the-air firmware upgrade.

----

Fewer than 10% of the Apple device owners eligible to get Apple TV+ streaming service have taken advantage of the one-year-free offer according to a research analyst. (Deadline)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Apple TV App and Apple TV+ Now Available on 2019 LG TVs in More Than 80 Countries

Fewer than 10% of the Apple device owners eligible to get Apple TV+ streaming service have taken advantage of the one-year-free offer according to a research analyst. (Deadline)
Well I finally took advantage of the one year free Apple TV+ streaming service (you have 3 months to activate it and the app just got loaded on our LG C9 OLED).

I'm quite happy with what I've seen...every Apple TV Original Series is 4K/Dolby Vision with good Dolby Atmos.

The Morning Show...although not what I was expecting...is nothing short of excellent.

Free for a year...how can you lose...also if the price stays at $5.99 CAD per month, it's relatively cheap in terms of a streaming service.

·
Super Moderator
16,405 Posts
Apple TV+ has made the following original series and films available for free for a limited time on its Apple TV app at apple.co/FreeForEveryone. Viewers in the US can watch now, while global customers can see the programming starting Friday. The Apple TV app is available on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, Mac, select Samsung and LG smart TVs, and Amazon Fire TV and Roku devices. (Deadline)

“The Elephant Queen”
“Little America”
“Servant”
“For All Mankind”
“Dickinson”
“Helpsters”
“Ghostwriter”

21 - 32 of 32 Posts