Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
AppleInsider Staff said:
But some studios have been reluctant to participate, calling Apple's 99-cent model too inexpensive.
The 99 cent price point for TV shows certainly makes me want to consider this product. However, the content needs to be there. It just shows how studios are shooting themselves, and hardware vendors, in the foot as technology moves forward.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The new AppleTV still has it's share of hiccups. I have an original ATV and my friend a new ATV2. When I rent a movie it downloads to the HD and runs perfectly. On his new ATV2 it's all streaming, it can be choppy and it chews through your bandwidth at an alarming rate. If you rewind, restart, rewatch it just gets the same data off the net again. Try watching a rental two or three times.
I hope the ATV3 has a SDD or HDD.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Doing a little research and these numbers seem pretty disappointing.

The devices actually were available for pre-order on September 1st and had sold 250,000 by Mid October. So sales over the last two months was around 750,000 units or about 375,000 per month. that's XMAS time so the last two months could be the best two months of the year.

Apple never released unit sales for the first generation of Apple TV, however one financial analyst, Gene Munster of Piper Jafray last year predicted sales of 6.6 million units in 2009, up from about 2.1 million units in 2008.

So they sold over 500,00 units per month in 2009 if Munster's numbers are accurate.

That suggests to me that new ATV sales may be lower than old ATV?????

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
And these sales pale in comparison to the sales of other iDevices that in many cases (iPhone, iPad 3G+Wifi) are substantially more expensive and incur monthly subscription costs.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
They may pale but its a different market niche. I'm certain that no one is close to the 10 million of so ATV units that have sold in the last four years or so.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Unless you include the game consoles in this category. It would make some sense for Cisco to start building this capability into their STBs but I don't imagine the cable companies would like that very much.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Video Game Consoles and Media Extenders are definitely not in the same category.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts