Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've been waiting for an update for a while. Admittedly, I know little about apple tv, but have been considering a NAS server to consolidate my media files (which may be overkill at this point, but I'm curious). Apparently, you can't use a NAS server to serve video to apple tv (with the exception of the HP media smart). That's what my initial research tells me. I hope I'm wrong...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Internet Radio support is nice as well as Genius Mixes.

I wonder, do the Genius Mixes look to iTunes or is it only songs on your ATV?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I like the new menu arrangement. Makes better use of 16:9 widescreen real estate but I think people who are still using 4:3 sets may not like it. Oh well, widescreen's where it's at.

Internet radio is a nice addition. I also like the new options for the screen saver.

iTunes Extras and iTunes LP had no hope of success unless they extended it to Apple TV, especially the video Extras, so this was expected. Now I just have to decide which video and which LP to buy to try it out. Hmmmmm, maybe the new Star Trek movie. As good as they are I've already decided to skip the whole BluRay thing. I don't think physical media has much of a future anyway.

Genius Mixes is something I haven't used in iTunes so we'll see if I make use of it now that its been extended to Apple TV.

I was hoping to hear an announcement regarding a TV subscription service as well. I don't think TV on Apple TV will really take off until a subscription service is introduced.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very clean interface, and proportioned for modern televisions, not the old 4:3 style. Also pleased to see the HD youtube and support for the most recent iLife features such as iPhoto facial recognition and iTunes Genius mixes. Anybody know if it support iTunes DJ, whereby anyone with an iPod Touch or iPhone can queue song requests? This is pretty cool for parties and such.

On the whole, though, it's a little light for a "major" upgrade. This feels a little like 2.5 instead of 3.0. Nonetheless, I still can't wait to get home and install it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Interesting comments from Apple regarding Apple TV. They clearly see it as a platform to replace Cable/Satellite.

These are comments from Fortune blog.

"In a report to clients issued Friday, RBC's Mike Abramsky ticks off the key takeaways from his meeting with Eddy Cue (vice president for iTunes and Internet services), David Moody (vice president for worldwide Mac marketing) and CFO Peter Oppenheimer.

What caught my eye was what they had to say about where they did — and didn't — see opportunities in digital content. They were talking about Apple TV, but it was as if they were thinking about future tablet computers.

Here's what Abramsky reports, in analyst shorthand, about that portion of the conversation:

Video/Content Opportunities. After music, video content is expected to be the next "exploding" opportunity, but requires overcoming industry rights dysfunctionality, competing with subsidies (cable box, video), and developing the right consumer "offer". Apple TV, while still a "hobby", is well positioned to benefit from evolving market dynamics. Apple was less enthusiastic about the online book/newspaper market, given unattractive industry structure."
So, although Apple seems to be taking baby steps with Apple TV, they do see a much bigger future for it. Good to see. I think the Cable/Satellite industries need more competition.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Nice interface but no wow moments for me. I wish on the Internet Radio stations, it told you the bitrate.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Apparently, you can't use a NAS server to serve video to apple tv ...
Yes, the ATV will link to a library on an NAS to play movies. The only glitch is that your computer must be on and running iTunes to access it. I haven't checked to see how the new software behaves, but I suspect it is the same.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was hoping to hear an announcement regarding a TV subscription service as well. I don't think TV on Apple TV will really take off until a subscription service is introduced.
Rumours are floating around that this could happen in a couple of months...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just updated my AppleTV last night, and it really is underwhelming for a so-called major update. The HD Youtube is probably the only real enhancement for me, since I had the Radio workaround using playlists. (which still, by the way, gives more radio station selection).

One thing that seems to be improved, though, is how quickly the "accessing iTunes store" transaction processes. It seems to go much better now.

I'm left guessing that most of the improvements of this release remain secret right now, to be revealed slowly over the coming weeks/months.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AppleTV 3.01

Dear Customer,
If you've installed the Apple TV 3.0 software update, you should immediately update to version 3.0.1. This prevents content from temporarily disappearing until it is resynced.
Apparently this is very urgent...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Just resync and its supposed to all come back

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is very odd, but I can't get my AppleTV to re-sync all of my music since the update. Anyone else having this problem?
Before the update, I had over 20Gb of music on it, now I can only get 14Gb of it to sync. I still have all of the music in iTunes, I just can't get it to the AppleTV.

Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts