Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this little snippet in the paper this morning;

The company has quietly removed the ability to rent TV shows on its new Apple TV 2 device in Canada. When the device launched last month, the company used the device's ability to rent TV shows for 99 cents as a major selling point.
Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Price+right+content/3565885/story.html

I guess this takes some of the gild off the Lilly :rolleyes:

It seems the garden-wall is getting taller as the vultures squabble over the carcass. Still, no skin off my nose :p

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Sarcasm aside, I think that more relates to the fact that Apple has had a lot of trouble convincing content providers onto their $0.99 model, and they probably haven't gotten anyone onside for the Canadian market yet.

Seems the networks are digging in, and Apple put their foot in their mouth by announcing the model before they had enough partners to make it fly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get a US gift card

Easiest way around this is to create an iTunes ID with a US-based account. You can do this with a US iTunes gift card or an American credit card. Visa/MC 'gift card' credit cards will work. You can ask someone to pick one up for you when they are in the US, or you can buy them off eBay. Same thing works if you want to open a UK account.

Only annoying thing is that you will need to keep buying them to reload your balance.

More details here:
http://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iphone-apple-tv/63339-help-using-us-itunes-gift-card-canada.html

·
Registered
148 Posts
Can you not buy and rent TV shows same as before using iTunes and then stream them to the ATV2 using Home Sharing? Granted it's an extra PITA step as you can't do it directly from the ATV2 but I think it should work otherwise. Same for movie purchases as you can only rent movies now directly from the ATV2. Cheers!

James

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
joudbren, you can buy TV shows for ATV2 in Canada, just not rent them. Also, you can't rent TV shows from iTunes in Canada.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts