Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting at $1,199, the new iMac is up to 70 percent faster and new graphics deliver up to three times the performance of the previous generation.

New features include: quad-core Intel Core i5 processors with an option for customers to choose Core i7 processors up to 3.4 GHz; New AMD Radeon HD graphics processors; and Thunderbolt I/O technology.

The 21.5-inch iMac has a single Thunderbolt port while the 27-inch model features two ports.

iMac includes a built-in FaceTime HD camera and Apple’s FaceTime software. The new camera supports high definition video calls between all FaceTime HD-enabled Macs and standard resolution calls with iPad 2, iPhone 4, the current generation iPod touch and other Intel-based Macs. The iMac continues to feature its signature aluminum and glass design, IPS LED-backlit high resolution display, SD card slot and comes with Apple’s Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad.

The iMac meets stringent Energy Star 5.2 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold rating.** iMac features LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass.

Every Mac comes with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and iLife, Apple’s suite of applications for creating and sharing photos, movies and music.

Pricing & Availability

The 21.5-inch iMac is available in two configurations: one with a 2.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 500GB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,199 (US); and one with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6770M and 1TB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US). The new 27-inch iMac is available in two models: one with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6770M and 1TB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,699 (US); and one with a 3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6970M and 1TB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US).

Configure-to-order options include faster Intel Core i7 processors up to 3.4 GHz, additional hard drive capacity up to 2TB, a 256GB solid state drive, and additional DDR3 memory.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been considering an iMac for my kids for some time now. The new beasts might just be the ticket.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Went Mac throughout the house a couple of years ago and have no regrets. I am in charge of over 100 Windows machines 5 days a week at work and its a joy to come home to OS X.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I agree Hugh, I have been running my Mac Book Pro as a desktop for several years and the idea of an iMac is something I have considered, this might just be the push I was waiting for.

Just have to decide how much to spend now I guess.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'll be updating mine, but I will wait a month or so in order to get OSX 10.7 which will incorporate all the features of OSX Server. Looking forward to getting features like VPN server, etc, made easier.

Of course, as a full UNIX system, OSX always had it, but without the nice GUI controls.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldn't OSX 10.7 be a free upgrade if its released in the next month or so?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just in case you hadn't notice, Apple has finally realized with the new iMacs that 1$CAN=1$US, no more 50$ or more "tax" added to the Canadian price...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Wouldn't OSX 10.7 be a free upgrade if its released in the next month or so?
Yes, but I want to know a firm release date so I know when to pull the trigger. Plus, it would be nice to have a clean install...it's not necessary but it's just something that's stuck with me from my Windows days.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I love my 27" iMac i5 (16GB RAM - cost $150 to upgrade; much better than the $600 Apple wants). The only thing that really tempts me on these is the Thunderbolt. But being that there aren't any (or very few) T-Bolt peripherals, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything right now.
A year from now, when T-Bolt portable 1TB drives are $100 (maybe?), then I'll have to have a serious talk with myself on why I do or do not need to upgrade.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just in case you hadn't notice, Apple has finally realized with the new iMacs that 1$CAN=1$US, no more 50$ or more "tax" added to the Canadian price..
I've always regarded it as making us subsidise the Americans. It's the only beef I've ever had with Apple.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Unfortunately it looks like they couldn't initially implement the iMac as an external display functionality that display port had using Thunderbolt.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry GrimJack but I have no idea what you are saying. Can you explain?

·
Registered
216 Posts
You used to be able to use an iMac as an external display for another mac product via the display port. Apparently some limitation of thunderbolt doesn't allow this right now.

So for example I could use an iMac as a desktop, or as an external monitor for my mbp.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank-you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It used to be more of a lifespan feature,

If your iMac got a little long in the tooth you could use it as a second monitor for your new iMac or whatever. It's possible they'll still be able to do it in a future update, but I think for the people in the niche it was designed for it was an important feature.

·
Registered
98 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts