Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased the second-gen Apple TV and I'm having trouble getting it up and running on my network. I have Telus Optik TV using the D-Link 3810. The Telus TV box is connected to one port on the D-Link, and 5 computers in the house are using the D-Link's wifi.

When I first set up the Apple TV, I connected it to the D-Link with an ethernet cable. All the internet features on the Apple TV worked, but I couldn't access any of the media files on the computers in the home using homeshare, and I couldn't control the Apple TV with the Remote App.

I then disconnected the ethernet cable and used wifi to connect the Apple TV to the network. Internet features on it still work, and I can now control it using the Remote app, but still no access to the media files on the computers in the network. Homesharing seems to be working on the computers, as they can see each others libraries, but none of them can see the Apple TV and the Apple TV doesn't see any of them.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem? Is it a limitation of the D-Link router? Would disabling the wireless on it and using a different router help?

Thanks for the suggestions

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Can you see Apple TV as a device in iTunes?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'd reset the device and then run through the setup instructions again. Sounds like you didn't activate sharing on the ATV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I've got it set up right... I entered in the username and password for my iTunes account to enable homesharing on the Apple TV. I've also tried restoring it (reseting to factory defaults and re-downloading the operating system) and setting up homesharing again and still no luck.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Re-read the instructions, you will have to enter a code in iTunes or the box (i forget which) that establishes the link between them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Double checked the instructions, I've done everything they say to. Still no luck. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The new Apple TV does not appear in iTunes as a device anymore because there are no settings to maintain. You just have to enable Home Sharing in iTunes and then input your login on the Apple TV device. Thats all the set-up there is.

Unfortunately, I can't help any further because my set-up is different. I have an Apple Airport which all my computers and Apple TV access. The Airport is then plugged into the dlink. It works perfectly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update to the situation...

The two computers I'm focusing on getting connected are both desktops running Windows 7. The files for one of them now appear on Apple TV. The files for the second one still wont. Both computers are running the newest version of iTunes and have the same account set up on them.

The computer that is working with the Apple TV unit (computer A) can see the other computers (computer B) library under the "shared" heading in iTunes. Computer B cannot see Compuber A's files (the "shared" heading isn't even visible on the left hand side of the iTunes window).

I also have an iPad running the Remote App. The Remote App can see Computer A's and Computer B's homeshare files and the Apple TV. When I select Apple TV in the app, it can only select files from Computer A's library.

Something seems to be preventing homesharing from working on the one desktop

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turned out to be a problem with the ASUS wi-fi card in the desktop (its always been a bit flakey). Put in a new Linksys and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Apple TV Remote App

I couldn't find any posts with information on this.. I can't get my Apple Remote App (http://www.apple.com/itunes/remote/) to connect to my Apple TV since I switched over from Shaw to Telus Optik TV+Internet. I tried deleting the old library and reconnecting but it's never able to find a library to connect to. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app but that didn't work either. This issue is happening on 3 separate devices that all worked before the switch to Optik.

I found an article on the Apple support pages (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1741) that states "Remote uses TCP port 3689 and UDP port 5353 to communicate with your iTunes or Apple TV". So I tried adding rules to the 3810 firewall but it still doesn't work.

Has anyone else had this problem before? I'd love to hear from you especially if you resolved it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As Shavanni pointed out above, the d-link router Telus supplies has trouble connecting wired and wireless devices. When I first set my Apple TV up, I used an ethernet cable and it wasn't able to connect with any of my other devices (which use wifi). Unplugged the ethernet cable and switched it to wifi and it worked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks. Hopefully Telus will have this resolved with the new hardware that is getting rolled out. Can anyone with the new hardware confirm that devices on the wireless network can communicate with those on the LAN? I think the modem/router brand is "Actiontec".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts