Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First post here, but I'm reading the forums since several months.

I'm looking to get an Apple TV (either the original one or G2), but I would like to ask some questions first:
  • Is it possible to use Apple TV with DNS-323, i.e. if I have 3 iTunes libraries on the DNS (I'll be moving them there shortly), will I be able to use all of them (one at a time) with the Apple TV?
  • Regardless of whether I will be able to use the DNS for iTunes, is there a way to "tell" the Apple TV to play specific playlist? My idea is to create several buttons on my Harmony One remote to play different playlists;
  • Is it possible to play DVDs through the Apple TV using a PC in the local network? Yes, I have a DVD player, but I have PAL DVDs, which don't show up on my NTSC-only TV :(. Yes, I can convert them to Apple TV-supported format or to NTSC (all these are family DVDs), but I would rather play them only on the PC;
  • I purchased several movies from iTunes and they are all in my library. Is it possible to play them using Apple TV?
Your feedback is highly appreciated! :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Bascially, as long as itunes can see/play your media than your AppleTV should be able to. You can access multiple libraries assuming they are loaded on different machines. For myself, I can play stuff from my iMac or my wife's macbook as long as both are running. Playlist should work, but I'm not sure if there is a way to setup discrete remote commands to play specific playlists. I doubt it. I don't believe you can stream a DVD live to your AppleTV.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Is it possible to play DVDs through the Apple TV using a PC in the local network?
No. You'd have to convert them into an .m4v file and then import them into Itunes.

I purchased several movies from iTunes and they are all in my library. Is it possible to play them using Apple TV?
Yes.

Regardless of whether I will be able to use the DNS for iTunes, is there a way to "tell" the Apple TV to play specific playlist? My idea is to create several buttons on my Harmony One remote to play different playlists;
Doubt it. I believe the only way is to select the playlist at your computer or on the tv screen. I do it via my iPhone or iPad app.

Is it possible to use Apple TV with DNS-323
If the DNS-323 is running iTunes server, you should be able to. I have never got iTunes working with my DNS-323 so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If the DNS-323 is running iTunes server, you should be able to. I have never got iTunes working with my DNS-323 so I can't say for sure.
I've got my DNS-323 loaded with a massive iTunes library to the AppleTV with no problems at all. Only problem is forgetting to wake up my PC so the iTunes can talk to the AppleTV which can then access the NAS.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think this is the critical point: the Apple TV REQUIRES iTunes to be running on a PC or MAc computer to access the movies/music on the DNS 323. The Apple TV cannot access the DNS 323 directly. I am guessing here, but my guess is that the DNS 323 processor and RAM aren't strong enough to run iTunes alone, let alone a version that can run on UNIX.

Honestly, I had a 323, and I found it way too much work to get it to speak nice with my Roku Soundbridges, Apple TV or PS3. I broke down and got an HP Mediasmart server and it is much more user friendly. In older versions, it appears folks have been able to get iTunes on the MSS directly, but I believe iTunes 10 broke that ability without a ton of finagling. If someone can get iTunes to work on the MSS directly, then you won't need another computer on the access files on the MSS from the Apple TV.

As for the movies purchased from iTunes, yes they will play on the Apple TV. One thing to note, however , is that if the resolution is SD, they won't look very good on a large screen HDTV (though my wife doesn't seem to care).

·
Registered
309 Posts
On my 54" Plasma the SD looks pretty good, but I do prefer purchasing the HD versions. Which brings up a question. Is there any ryhme or reason as to which movies are offered in HD vs. those only SD? Lately it's been kinda of frustrating because those movies I want to only rent are in available for rent in both HD and SD but those I wish to purchase are only in SD (How to Train a Dragon, Terminator Salvation, Toy Story 3). Then there are some movies you can rent in HD, but purchase only SD (Elf).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts