Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I hope someone can give me some advice, I am thinking of picking up the new Apple TV when it comes out and I am not sure if it is the best choice. I already have a PS3 but the movie content is very small and I would like to download movies on the Apple TV ( from Itunes ) but would I be better off with the Boxee box?

I am in Canada so web downloads are limited and Itunes has very good selection but only 720p, the Boxee box will have 1080p download ( but will not play Itune content ) and is almost twice the price

Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd go Boxee every time (assuming they don't screw up the launch like the WDTV Live and PopBox) for the simple reason that you're free from Apple's walled-garden, and the Boxee et al will play everything you throw at it, in glorious 1080p instead of poor-man's HD.

Other than adding pay to play tv/movies, I see the current iTV box a substantial downgrade from it's predecessor (which has rightfully had it's lunch eaten by WD, ASUS, PBO et al). Giving up the HDD removes the DVR capability and substitutes a time-limited rental option. Sure, the other boxes don't have HDD either, but I don't think the NetFlix all-u-can-eat model imposes time limits on content. Either way, NF will be DVD quality, viewed on an Apple or other box.

The one positive aspect of megalomaniac Steve's rollout is the exclusive on day 1 releases for DVDs vs. NetFlix's delay (2yr?). Certainly not a deal killer for me, but might be for some. Call me extreme, but as much as I appreciate Apple's engineering excellence, it's A-B-A (anything but Apple) for me, due to the constraints of the walled-garden.

I also wouldn't hold your breath on TV streaming on an iTV in Canuckland for a while. Like Hulu and everything else, those that paid heavily for Cdn distribution rights (i.e. because we have no decent domestic content), will take a while strategizing how to cash in on this new stream, while Hell/Robbers are busy clamping down their ISP bandwidth caps (purely by coicidence ;)) to secure their slice of the pie and discourage content subscriber defections.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The main problem with Boxee is that it's made by D-Link, which makes the hardware complete crap. And that's unfortunate because the product concept and software are very attractive.

·
Registered
763 Posts
^thats a pretty stupid comment to make no?

The SoC CE4100 that the Boxee Box uses will be a huge step up from existing media players, and blow the apple tv out of the water hardware wise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the imput, has anyone tried to use an Ipod touch ( or Iphone , Ipad ) with one of the cables that they sell to watch Itunes movies on a tv?

The connecton would not be hdmi but Apple is only 720p anyway, but would the Ipod display in 720?

·
Registered
569 Posts
^ past tense for a product that's not yet available?

Netflix certainly WAS mentioned in the initial CES 2010 product announcement, but I've not seen any word on it being officially in or out of the product shipping in November.

·
Banned
434 Posts
the main point of boxee is hulu isnt it? since hulu isn't really available in canada i fail to see the point of this box, especially if you already have a ps3 or similar.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've recently setup Boxee on my HTPC and can easily say it's the best front end for an HTPC I've yet to try. I blew hours (across many years) on Meedio, Media Portal, and Media Center. Boxee is by far the best so far. Oh and Hulu would be nice, but meh it's doing 10x more than my other setups used to so no Hulu has nothing to do with it.

As for Apple TV, well if you like Apple and they apple lifestyle maybe it'll work for you. If you aren't already sold into the Apple world then I see no reason to even consider what might be the worst media player coming out this year.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I dunno, I think it would be stupid to ignore a product simply because DLink is the company that is building it. The components and design really seems to have all been done by Boxee, and the manufacturing contracted to DLink.

Well, the point of the SoC is that its the first time we're seeing CE4100 in a small device, and one thats powerful to play hd 1080p 60fps content at up to 90mbps. a little more powerful than the new apple TV that can play 720p up to 2.5mbps.

·
Registered
763 Posts
the main point of boxee is hulu isnt it? since hulu isn't really available in canada i fail to see the point of this box, especially if you already have a ps3 or similar.
to me the main point is having a beautiful UI/front end on your TV being run by a small powerful media player and without having to worry about an actual computer siting there. What will be nice here is the ability to play any format of video and boxee itself doing full media scraping and managing of all content.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The components and design really seems to have all been done by Boxee, and the manufacturing contracted to D-link.
Well, that would certainly make a difference in my opinion, but i don't think that's the case. I'm pretty sure D-Link designed the box and is not just a CM. I would love to see any evidence to the contrary though...my low opinion on D-link is not due to assembly quality, it's due to design reliability.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally I'm waiting for Google TV to come out and compare it to Boxee.

These two boxes offers allot more than just renting episodes/movies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would use it almost exclusively to download movies, so doesn’t the Apple TV have the big advantage ( as they have the best selection )?
Any other web content can be done on my PS3. I don’t think the Boxee box ( or any other product ) as the “ legal “ download choices of Itune.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts