Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Apple TV, is there no Dolby 5.1 content? I tried netflix and Apply TV previews, nothing in Dolby.

There is an option in setup for Dolby which I have turned on. I am using a digital optical cable from the ATV into my home theatre.

Anybody tried renting movies, do they play with Dolby?

thanks

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Just because a preview isn't encoded in 5.1 doesn't mean the feature film will be the same.

If you search this forum, I'm sure you'll find reports of 5.1 audio.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Previews never have offered 5.1 on ATV and Netflix currently does not support 5.1 via the ATV2 app. It's widely expected that an update to the Netflix app will support 5.1 now that they offer that in the U.S. Not confirmed but highly likely.

If you rent an HD movie from iTunes it will likely have DD5.1 and you can stream movies from your computers as well that have DD5.1 audio tracks. Cheers!

James

·
Registered
181 Posts
FYI

I don't have a ATV but I rented a iTunes HD movie with my MacBook Pro and the receiver to which it was connected indicated DD5.1

Bob

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
New release movies rented on iTunes were definitely in 5.1 for me... If the description says 5.1 then it is... If it doesn't work check your setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried renting a movie from Apple TV this weekend. Got the Girl who played with fire, which was advertised as being DD5.1. Tried watching it, no DD5.1.

I called Applecare and they got me to try renting another movie, Predetors, that one broadcast in DD5.1

Applecare was helpful, they refunded both movies for the trouble.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Under Settings, make sure Dolby Digital Out is set to "On". I had it set to Auto, assuming it would engage anything in 5.1, but it didn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts