1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I saw that this morning I had to laugh.... Apple is obviously scared about Samsung's upcoming slim and better equipped Galaxy Tab.... hopefully this law suit goes nowhere and we can have best of both worlds on the market.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they are simply protecting their intellectual property.

It must be frustrating for industry leaders to see their products and software copied by firms in Asia (or anywhere else for that matter)

I think if Samsung wants to operate in Western Countries, they need to respect copyrights.

If Apple's suit is without merit, then it will be thrown out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I read over that article and sorry but it sounds ridiculous.

"Apple says the Galaxy Tab "slavishly copies" Apple's product design, using a rectangular body with rounded corners"

Are you kidding me? Are not all 10" tablets in rectangular body and my Xoom has rounded corners so are they saying Xoom copied them also? Did they patent rounded corners? Is that even possible.... btw looking at the Galaxy corners they are a lot more rounded then on the Ipad and the new Slim Tab will be a lot more different looking then the Ipad 2.

What are these app icons they speak of? Battery meter/wifi level? They dont even look that similar..... Or are they saying Android app icons in which case all Android tablets would have these.....

And what is the problem with Samsung supplying Apple's chips? Samsung is using Tegra not the A4-5... Apple can always take their business elsewhere, oh wait no they cant.

Sorry but Apple sounds very very bitter in this article, but yea I guess we will see how it goes, should be an interesting one.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
In terms of the hardware design, the Galaxy S (such as the International i9000 or Bell's i9000M variant) does look very much like an iPhone 3GS - to the point that I've been asked on numerous occasions whether I'm using an iPhone. With regards to the software, Touchwiz does seem to borrow a fair bit from the iPhone (side-scrolling app menu with the dots signifying which "page" you're on, the 4 default buttons on the bottom, etc) and I can see why Apple may not be too impressed. The regular Android launcher is different enough to avoid a direct comparison to the iPhone interface IMO.

That said, I don't believe that you should be able to patent an icon layout in the first place like Apple has been able to do. Overall I feel it shows just how poor the US patent system really is.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
If Apple is actually successful in winning a case based on the arguement that a "rectangular design with rounded corners" is somehow a unique or patentable design concept then indeed all common sense has left the building.

Maybe Pythagoras' or Euclid's descendants should sue Apple for using the rectangular shape?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
When it comes to US patent law, common sense left the building a long time ago. These companies all spend untold billions on tech patent cases.

The system is grossly outdated and unfit for todays intellectual property issues.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"Apple says the Galaxy Tab "slavishly copies" Apple's product design, using a rectangular body with rounded corners"
Apple wants all other manufacturers's products have sharp corners and edges and then be sued by customers for bodiely injuries.

I don't why Nokia or Motorolar didn't sue Apple for coping their concept of making cell phones.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think they are simply protecting their intellectual property.

It must be frustrating for industry leaders to see their products and software copied by firms in Asia (or anywhere else for that matter)
Even you are the owner of this site, you cannot make discriminatory comment like that. Apply copied HTC, an Asia company, to make smart phones.

Does Ipad look like this http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/294697791/gps_receiver_4_3_lcd_touch.html? I have a similar looking GPS receiver 4 years ago. I guess the Chinese manufacturer should sue Apple for copyright infringement.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
That's the way most of these lawsuits go unfortunately. It'll probably take a few years for this one to work its way through the courts, and in the meantime all it's doing is costing both parties a lot of money. I highly doubt Apple will be able to get an injunction blocking Samsung from selling the Galaxy S in the meantime.

·
Registered
83 Posts
BGY11: "It'll probably take a few years for this one to work its way through the courts, and in the meantime all it's doing is costing both parties a lot of money"

And guess who really picks up the tab in the long run!

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
When I saw that this morning I had to laugh.... Apple is obviously scared about Samsung's upcoming slim and better equipped Galaxy Tab....
The old Galaxy Tab sales have been rather disappointing - this new version better do a LOT better to be a thread to AAPL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts