Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from todays Apple press release

CUPERTINO, California—March 2, 2010—Apple today filed a lawsuit against HTC for infringing on 20 Apple patents related to the iPhone’s user interface, underlying architecture and hardware. The lawsuit was filed concurrently with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and in U.S. District Court in Delaware.

“We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We’ve decided to do something about it,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours.”

·
Registered
656 Posts
That's rich coming from Jobs. I don't think Apple has had a single original idea. Apple is the master at taking what's there, pulling it together and refining it to (near) perfection, and then making billions from the sale of it. Innovation yes; invention... not so much.

·
Super Moderator
11,207 Posts
I don't think Apple has had a single original idea
Original ideas do not exist anymore. They are all to some extent based on a notion that already exists. "pulling it together and refining it" is what everyone has been doing for the last 100 years. And as you say Apple is pretty darn good at it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another ridiculous claim by Apple. They mastered the technique of slipping something under the cover, and then claiming it theirs. Most recent story - their application to patent functionality of photo contact thumbnail on the desktop, the function that's being in Android since the very beginning.
HTC's been a serious player on the smartphone market for years before Apple, but all of the sudden it's all Apples' idea. Haha.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Don't blame Apple, but rather blame the ridiculous state of patent law and litigation in the USA. I believe in intellectual property protection, but as Jake suggested, true inventions are few-and-far between. In the business, we call it "catalogue engineering"

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree, the system at it's current state is absolutely illogical and a criminal investigation is required to find out how Apple gets such things patented in the first place.
Back to my previous post, now that we know a few more details, I was right. One of the patents they are suing over is unlocking a device using an image or gestures on the touchscreen. They obtained approval for it only this February, but Android has had this feature (unlock pattern) ever since it's started. All Apple did was provided a vague description of an existing technology or even an industry standard, to avoid words like "phone", "portable device", etc.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
In many cases, patents are applied for years before they are granted. The key date is the application date, not the approval date. Your remark about needing a "criminal investigation" doesn't really help bolster your arguments.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Don't blame Apple, but rather blame the ridiculous state of patent law and litigation in the USA
I blame both but mainly companies like Apple. They are trying to drive competitors out of business with litigation. If companies did not make bogus patents and then try to enforce them, the situation would not exist. IMHO, software patents should be discontinued since they are so open to abuse. Even if HTC prevails, the litigation and legal costs may harm them enough to put them out of business.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sigh...here come all the anti Apple comments.

Apple is hardly the first company to sue regarding patents around mobile phones, yet you don't seem to find all the negativity around the other suits. Where's the anger towards Nokia?

·
Registered
748 Posts
+1 - wonder where they all were when Nokia and RIM sued Apple. It seems everyone is suing everyone these days which says to me it's difficult to come up with an entirely new idea. Most of these actions are about leveraging licensing negotiations and the plaintiffs would be sorely disappointed if the respondents stopped using the technology.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+ 2 - I think Apple has some justification here. I'm not saying HTC is guilty since I don't know all the particulars but I am angry at the amount of money and profits lost by North American technology firms that have been ripped off by firms outside of this continent.

I agree that sometimes patents are applied too liberally but I don't consider Apple a patent troll.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Could there be behind this a little jab directed at Google?

I'm not convinced yet that relations between Google and Apple are just sours, heck I see a whole war brewing between the two.

And yes the patents law are archaic and applied too much liberally.

RIM vs NTP... that was a nice one. It was just a concept on paper, with no prototype ever builted, yet it was patented...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
As long as patent laws and regulations aren't changed, companies such as Apple HAVE to do this in order to protect their investment in R & D.

We could argue all day about what constitutes "innovation" or "invention" - going back to simple machines - but it's a moot point given the legal ramifications behind each new product introduction.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
The US patent system has been broken for a long time. Today it is really just a tool that allows large, deep pocketed companies get their way.

Are there valid patents being filed/granted? Yes, there are. But they are dwarfed by the number of "junk" patents. When two companies decide they are going to get into a patent fight all you can be sure of is that the lawyers will make money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts