Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mac and iPhone sales soar, sending quarterly profit up 47%. Stock hits record high in after-hours trading.

Impressive results in this economic climate. It's interesting to note that this does not include anticipated revenue-recognition changes now allowed by GAAP that would have allowed them to recognize iPhone and AppleTV revenue much more quickly than they do now. That would have driven the numbers much higher.

The one comment that has a lot of speculation buzzing around is the statrement that "air freight costs” are set to rise "abnormally" in the company's first quarter which has "nothing to do with iPhone”, and “are about getting units into the channel for the holiday.”. Of course, everyone thinks that a snap announcement regarding the much-hyped Tablet is imminent.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Great quarter for Apple but I am a little shocked at over $200 per share for a company!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rumours abound that there is a major product announcement tomorrow. The day after the earnings announcement and the day before Windows 7 launches. Would Apple have the huevos to pee on Microsoft's parade?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
P/E ratio for Google 35.66
P/E ratio for Apple 33.13

Both very pricey shares in today's economic climate. From an investment standpoint, I just can't see either being a bargain!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Perhaps the increased freight charges will be a combo of the iphone introduction into China as well as a North American entry into the tablet market?

And if you really want a high stock price, check out Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway - closed at $101,000 per share today. :eek:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps the increased freight charges will be a combo of the iphone introduction into China as well as a North American entry into the tablet market?

And if you really want a high stock price, check out Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway - closed at $101,000 per share today. :eek:
Actually, they specifically said the freight bump is not related to iPhone...

In other news, the hardware announcements have started rolling:

New multitouch Magic Mouse.

New Mac Mini

Interesting: Mac Mini running OS XServer

And perhaps the most fun: New 27" iMac in 16:9 aspect ratio with 2560 x 1440 resolution

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Actually for me, the most interesting one of those new introductions is that multi-touch mouse. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for some uber-geek to hack it and develop a linux driver!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might be interested in the OS X server, but I agree with you on the Magic Mouse. I stopped by an Apple Store in NY today, but they don't have them in stock yet. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts