Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arriving with little or no fanfare from Apple, the Mac Mini has been reconfigured and now features:
  • an integral aluminum case that matches the Apple TV for size
  • 2 CPU choices
  • 2 HDD choices
  • HDMI-equipped Nvidia graphics
  • SD card slot
  • 802.11n WLAN and Gigabit Ethernet
  • Bluetooth
  • 4 USB ports
  • FireWire 800 port
  • at long last, an easy way to add/change RAM :)
http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
The Mac Mini has been my HTPC for 2 years now, and with Elgato Eye TV Hybrid I use it as my OTA PVR. It is more expensive than any PC based HTPC, but everything on the Mac Mini works flawlessly. I've never even had to reboot the thing (other than for software updates) since day one.

I like how this new version does have an easy way to upgrade RAM.

The only thing missing from this is a Blu-Ray drive. If OS X were to ever develop native Blu-Ray support I would ditch my PS3.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QuickSilver said:
they have always priced it in typical Apple fashion
Yep, but you can only really compare Apples with Apples though. That's a whole topic unto itself! :D

For someone who needs a desktop or TV-side computer this is a good option, and the ability to easily change the RAM is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
I have noticed lately though when they are updating their product lines they have been increasing the price as well. Just seems to be a newish trend with Apple lately.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cyclism said:
The only thing missing from this is a Blu-Ray drive.
It would be nice to have the option of getting one with an internal BD drive, but for now I don't believe an external Blu-ray drive runs smoothly over USB2.0 so a person could connect one over FireWire 800 just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
stampeder, since OS X does not natively support Blu-Ray, then connecting via FireWire will not eliminate the inability to play Blu-Rays on a Mac.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For authoring a BD disc I don't know of an app for OS X, but for archiving the contents of a BD disc makemkv works on OS X, so that's a workaround that falls under the category of making a personal copy under fair use law (unless/until that goes away).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I have a lot of respect for Steve but I think he's looney on this one for reasons we've discussed many times before (blu-ray better PQ, lossless, not 30GB downloads etc)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For such a nice OS that does so many things so well, it is a pity that the personality traits of such a powerful person can directly cause direct harm to the choices of consumers who use it. Well, it's his house, so what can you do? More's the pity that if someone wanted to port BD software to OS X for use with an external player they'd find themselves on a collision course with Apple HQ.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Got the new Mac Mini - love it!

Until now, I've never owned a Mac. Between my wife, son, and I, we have 4 PCs, all running Windows Vista or 7 (two laptops, a netbook, and a quad-core desktop). My wife also has an iPad.

I've been toying with getting a Mac for a little while, but when my wife's Lenovo X61 laptop started overheating and shutting down, I decided it was time try one.

Since she always used her laptop at her desk connected to a monitor and keyboard, I went for a Mac Mini instead of a MacBook.

After using it for a couple of hours, I was totally hooked. The Magic Mouse is very nice to use - so cool to be able to use the top of it as a touchpad!

Anyway, I decided to give one last shot at fixing the Lenovo - I read that removing a piece of plastic that was between the CPU and heat sink solved some peoples' overheating issues. I thought it was a long shot (since she's used the laptop for almost 3 years now), but it worked! The laptop hasn't overheated since with the CPU staying below 65 degrees C (previously, under load, it would get into the 90s and shutdown at 100 C).

I could still return the Mac Mini and my wife would have a perfectly good 2GHz Core 2 Duo laptop to use, but I'm hooked ... it's staying :D

Now, I need a reason to get a 27" iMac ... any suggestions?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts