Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,693 Posts
This actually has the potential to tick a lot of customers off on both sides. Apparently Sony's eReader app has already been rejected. On Sony's Reader page, they say...
...Unfortunately, with little notice, Apple changed the way it enforces its rules and this will prevent the current version of the Reader™ for iPhone® from being available in the app store. We opened a dialog with Apple to see if we can come up with an equitable resolution but reached an impasse at this time.
I am pretty sure Amazon doesn't want to give Apple a 30% cut of Kindle sales. I guess we'll have to see who blinks first!

· Registered
1,693 Posts
When you read the Apple press release, the statements that really irritate me from a consumer point of view are

“Our philosophy is simple—when Apple brings a new subscriber to the app, Apple earns a 30 percent share; when the publisher brings an existing or new subscriber to the app, the publisher keeps 100 percent and Apple earns nothing,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “All we require is that, if a publisher is making a subscription offer outside of the app, the same (or better) offer be made inside the app, so that customers can easily subscribe with one-click right in the app.
and

Publishers who use Apple’s subscription service in their app can also leverage other methods for acquiring digital subscribers outside of the app. For example, publishers can sell digital subscriptions on their web sites, or can choose to provide free access to existing subscribers. Since Apple is not involved in these transactions, there is no revenue sharing or exchange of customer information with Apple. Publishers must provide their own authentication process inside the app for subscribers that have signed up outside of the app. However, Apple does require that if a publisher chooses to sell a digital subscription separately outside of the app, that same subscription offer must be made available, at the same price or less, to customers who wish to subscribe from within the app.
It is offensive to me that one retail outlet (because that what Apple is in these cases), should try to dictate what the price should be of a product in another retail outlet. If Walmart tried to tell a supplier what the price has to be if the item is sold at BestBuy, they would be told to take a leap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.