Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Not when they have as high a profile as iPads do. A lot of hackers are driven by ego. To those people pointing to the small install base, you really don't think one black hat would put in the effort to create a virus for the Mac in the past eight years for which Mac OS X has been around?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I tried the jailbreak process this week. I was surprised at just how easy it was for the software to install itself. The whole process took less than five minutes.

And if the jailbreak site can do this, you can bet others will do the same for more sinister reasons. It's just too easy to pass up.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Apparently when Macs run Windows, they become as vulnerable as a PC so, yes, a Mac might get a true virus one day. Don't know whether the Mac partition will still work or not though. This could explain Google's move to Mac from PC in June.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
When I'm running WinXP inside VMware Fusion on my Mac, the WinXP installation is just as vulnerable as any XP machine; however, I don't think that it carries a risk to the Mac OS itself, until such a time as someone writes some malicious code to specifically work through the VM to get to the Mac.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts