Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent iPad security scares are a sign that Apple's devices are a growing target for hackers, spammers and malicious coders.

Apple claims that the Unix framework that its Mac operating system is built on is inherently safer than Windows. The truth is that Mac OS has as many vulnerabilities as Windows, according to Nigam -- Apple patches its products just often as Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500) does..
I too believe that Apple is less vulnerable, however, less vulnerable is still vulnerable.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Nothing makes a hacker more motivated than somebody saying their platform is "more secure" or "hacker proof".

Apple's general smugness about their security is going to make them a target.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hackers at security conferences have always been able to hack OS X in minutes for years now. I'm not sure if that is evidence that it's a growing target. It just means that OS X is vulnerable and Mac users should always keep their Macs up to date and use due diligence when on the Internet or clicking links or downloading stuff.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
When you go from niche to semi-mainstream you become a target. In addition, Steve Jobs comments about Apple related products in general are smug and annoying.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So At&T website gets hacked and customer email are exposed.... and somehow it is Apple fault.... and their device are somehow less secure..... :eek:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The article simply suggests that Apple is increasingly going to be a target for hackers. As Mom used to say, the proof is in the pudding so I expect we'll find out in the next couple of years just how secure Apple products really are.

For consumers sake, I hope Apple's claims are correct.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hackers are people who love to debug and/or repurpose code. Linux and Open Source are extremely popular with hackers. :) If Apple is the new bulls-eye for malicious hackers, then that's a different matter entirely.

The Unix core of OS X is fundamentally strong and crack resistant, but the add-on shells and software applied to it by Apple are where the malicious code research might bear fruit.

I'm bothered by an assumption in the article linked from the OP that the count of vulnerabilities is being used as a yardstick. The true value to be considered is the severity of those vulnerabilities.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have no doubt that as soon as the first true virus to hit OSX comes along, there will be world-wide headlines. Until then, I'm not going to get my shorts in a knot. Generally the safety precautions as stated above are sufficient. All I know is that mathematically, there should have been many successful (outside of a lab) compromises of the platform. They have been promised for years; where are they?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
the install base is so small, it's just not worth the effort to take over macs

it's basically as simple as that

why waste resources on 10-15% of computers when you can easily borrow code and make your own bot network?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's not just OS X that is vulnerable. The thousands of Apple Aps probably contain security holes as well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
the install base is so small, it's just not worth the effort to take over macs
That's a line that has worn increasingly thin over the years. Surely the challenge would have inspired just one hacker - after all, OSX has been around for eleven years.

Perhaps there is some truth to the claim that Macs are inherently less vulnerable.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps there is some truth to the claim that Macs are inherently less vulnerable
I suspect the vast majority of knowledgable computer users know and agree with that statement, however, as I said in post #1, "less vulnerable is still vulnerable."

Again, the article is not saying any OS is more or less vulnerable, it's simply saying that Apple's increasingly large user base makes it a more inviting target for criminals.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The article is the latest in a long and venerable line of 'look out Mac, viruses are gonna get you' articles. A few years ago the same writers were telling us that Apple was about to go out of business. These guys have space to fill and this is what sells.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It certainly makes for catchy headlines for the less sophisticated media outlets/bloggers.

While there is little doubt that OS X is more/most secure, nothing is perfect. Hopefully this kind of press will motivate Apple and the Unix community in general to be even more vigilant and disciplined in their design practices.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My wife and I run competing networks in our home. Hers is PC and mine Mac. She takes elaborate precautions and has some kind of sentinel program that scans constantly looking for nasties. On the other hand, my network has no firewalls or virus scanning software, but regular installations of the latest updates from Apple.
Guess which one of us has had the famous 'disconnect your machine; you're infected' message from Rogers? (Hint - not me.)

·
Registered
598 Posts
The study cited in the article is for products from various companies running on a Windows PC only. And according to the study Apple products (iTunes, Quicktime) have more vulnerabilities than Microsoft products running on a Windows PC. And they just didn't pass them, it's been that way for the last 5 years.

Reporting in general has been on a downhill in quality for quite a long time. It seems reporters don't check anything, recycle stories and cite each other to fill the pages of the Internet or the TV screen.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I've said it in other threads...it's a guaranteed head-turner to have a headline saying Apple is less than perfect, whether the story holds water or not.

One would think that Apple would realise its cockiness is contrinuting to this phenomena and try to tone down its own rhetoric.

It hasn't happened yet, but one of these days, they will have a real security problem, and then their reputation will be tattered. I run OS X, XP, Vista and soon Windows 7 in my home. Apple is the best by a long shot, but the gap is closing really, really quick.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts