Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple iPhone 5 Could See Delay to Fall
By Scott Moritz 04/05/11

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple's(AAPL_) iPhone 5 delay could stretch to fall. "This year's iPhone launch is likely to be later, towards the August/September timeframe," Barclay's Capital analyst Ben Reitzes wrote in a research note Tuesday. Concerns about Apple's iPhone 5 missing at the traditional June launch as well as a re-balancing move in the Nasdaq-100 index have been a knock on Apple shares recently.

Reducing Apple's prominence in the Nasdaq-100 to 12% of the index value from 20% has nothing to do with the business of selling sleek gadgets, but it is expected to put some selling pressure on the stock as money managers adjust their Apple holdings to match the Nasdaq-100.

Apple shares are down 7% since an all-time peak of $363 in February. One of the leading worries is that the Apple iPhone has been knocked off its throne by a bunch of new, muscular Google(GOOG_) Android phones.

The dated iPhone 4 and the potentially-delayed iPhone 5 threaten to put Apple in a catch-up mode as rivals release big-screen, super-speedy 4G LTE phones.
Full link: http://www.thestreet.com/story/11072644/1/apple-iphone-5-could-see-delay-to-fall.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
That would open the door even wider for Android.
I don't see how. I am guessing that the iPhone 5 sales will more than make up any losses to Android. There will also be some excitement around the white iPhone 4 when it comes out in a month. If it comes out I guess

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Most people I know who wanted a white Iphone simply bought a white case.

Personally, I find a white phone to be an eye soar.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
My guess is that the iPhone is going to get rolled up with the iPod event. The June event will focus on software while September will be a portable device event. They may even come out with a cheap iPhone to replace the iPod touch.

My only hesitation with this hypothesis is that apple is pretty shrewd about spacing out their announcements so that there is always something new to talk/speculate about in the media. Combining these announcements may impact this.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
They may even come out with a cheap iPhone to replace the iPod touch.
I saw a few rumors about Apple releasing a cheaper iPhone to compete with the cheaper Android phones. If this happens, it will be a good move by Apple. I didn't hear anything about a cheap version replacing the Touch though, I don't think they would do that, but you never know.

I really do hope they iPhone 5 is released this year. My wife needs a new phone and I don't know if her iPhone 3G will make it to next year.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Frankly, is there anything noteworthy to expect in the iPhone 5?

A new bezel and a new antenna is hardly noteworthy.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I really do hope they iPhone 5 is released this year. My wife needs a new phone and I don't know if her iPhone 3G will make it to next year.
Same for me. It's so freakin' slow.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Frankly, is there anything noteworthy to expect in the iPhone 5?
Well from what I read, it will be a lot faster than the current iPhone 4, but of course nothing has been confirmed, plus I read that it will be a 4" screen size. And possibly a 8mp camera

Same for me. It's so freakin' slow.
Yes, and my wife's phone is becoming really buggy. Some weird stuff happening with it. It is really frustrating to use compared to my iPhone 4.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I guess it will have an A5 processor (hence the faster) but I think the thrill is gone.

Not sure this device can really do much more which puts it closer to being a commodity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts