Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I had to delete, all the alarms, restart my phone then re-set the alarms before they worked as expected
This makes me wonder if the displayed time changed but the alarms didn't. I don't know about how time is set on phones, but with NTP, the time is transmitted in UTC (GMT) and a local offset is added. However, are the alarms stored in UTC or local time? If local, they should follow whatever is on the display. If in UTC, and not updated when the time changes, then you might have this problem.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What's really sad is Apple says they knew the problem existed but never issued an update

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
Want to look like an American-centric company with little regard for what goes on elsewhere?
According to the article most people expect the same issue when NA DST ends. I think it is more an issue of poor coding. I have 3 other devices that, since the new DST came into effect, have bungled the change-over.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
What's really sad is Apple says they knew the problem existed but never issued an update
There was a patch issued for the same problem (though reversed) that plagued AU and NZ users last month but it appears Apple "overlooked" applying it to other regions.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I think it is more an issue of poor coding
Some devices have no way of knowing about the change. They were built a few years ago, before the change and simply have no way of updating. I seem to recall even Windows had to be fixed. With Linux, there's a file that includes the data needed for the various time zones. That file also had to be updated.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This just underscores the need to have a back up alarm. I have 2 alarm clocks at home so if one doesnt go off (power surge etc) then I'm set. Apple should definitely have fixed this issue ahead of time, but you're still responsible for getting yourself to work on time. Prepare for the unforseen.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apple isnt the only one. My Blackberry 9700 has a bug in Phoenix and northwestern Mexico, probably due to the fact that Arizona doesn't follow DST, and that region of Mexico just follows AZ.

Very annoying when I showed up at a factory in the drug war zone at 600am and had to sit in my car in a bad neighborhood for an hour because my "smart" phone didn't know what time it was.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Enough about the poor Australians and Europeans, what about our friends in Saskatchewan and eastern Alberta who never go on DST? Does RIM, Apple, Google or anyone offer specialized settings for Regina and Lloydminister?

Given the impracticality of knowing all the local exceptions, in addition to different practices in countries around the world, I believe the default be to let the local carrier's data set the time. That's the way my BB is programmed and so it will be the carrier, not RIM, that will get the flack if it doesn't revert to EST tonight. Anyone who messes with the default setting should take their own responsibility and not blame others for not knowing what time of day it is. Of course there will always be those who refuse to accept responsibility for anything while taking credit for anything with which they are ever-so remotely associated. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
what about our friends in Saskatchewan and eastern Alberta
Actually those that dot not observe or use DST will not have any issues. Set your ±hours relative to UTC and you are set for life. I gave up on my server and now I just leave it set to EST year round. At least starting tomorrow it will be correct.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Looks like this bug will affect us too, since the update to fix this isn't due until iOS 4.2 is released.

According to Apple, the bug only affects those who have a recurring alarm for tomorrow. If you set a one-time alarm, it should go off at the right time.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I thought that cell phone time display was updated from a satellite. Looks like I am wrong. The most accurate time keepers are those desk top clocks that DO in fact get updated from satellite signals. Running a very close second (tied) are the time display on my Samsung Virgin Mobile phone and the clock in my Acura TL-S. I have always been a stickler for accurate time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts