Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from slashgear

Apple has sent out invites for an event on Wednesday, March 2, where we’re expecting to see the company announce the second-generation iPad. The event will take place at 10am in the morning, Pacific time, at Apple’s usual haunt, the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The rumours that are out (including info from one source that frequently gets it right) are pretty revealing. Thinner, faster, double the RAM, front facing camera, possibly rear camera. What's missing however is a retina display, and the SD memory slot. apparently, there were a few engineering problems with the slot, so they left it out.

Being thinner was pretty much expected, but it'll be interesting to see how it affects the battery life. If it falls below the old iPad's 10 hour performance (which I confirmed in my own review of the first iPad), there might be more than a few people annoyed by that.

Anyway, we'll know for sure on March 2nd.

And no, I won't be getting the new iPad. In fact, I'll be selling my current one very soon. The only place where it's useful is in the bathroom! And I can easily manage without it! :p

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The rumours that are out (including info from one source that frequently gets it right) are pretty revealing. Thinner, faster, double the RAM, front facing camera, possibly rear camera. What's missing however is a retina display, and the SD memory slot. apparently, there were a few engineering problems with the slot, so they left it out.
No, they didn't. From http://daringfireball.net/2011/02/eleventh_hour

Eleventh hour, my ass. Nothing in these regards has changed in the iPad 2 since January. Nothing. There was never going to be a higher resolution display in the iPad 2. I’d wager heavily that there was never going to be an SD card slot for it, either, but I don’t know that.
If I had sources who fed me a load of [censored] a month ago, I’d be apologizing to my readers, not doubling down on those sources as “dead right”.
And no, I won't be getting the new iPad. In fact, I'll be selling my current one very soon. The only place where it's useful is in the bathroom! And I can easily manage without it! :p
To each his own I guess. I've used mine in every room but the bathroom.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't think this is going to be as big a deal as some expect. Yes, it will be thinner, with a bigger speaker. It will probably be a bit lighter, but I don't think Apple will have implemented the carbon-fiber case this time around. Probably a front camera, possibly a rear camera. The usual faster processor, maybe more storage. That's really not that much to get excited about. Now, if they announce the new version of iOS (5? 4.something?), and it has new features, like wifi hotspot, I will get excited.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Curious which rumours turn out to be true. An Apple "insider" has said that the Ipad3 is the one you should wait for.

We'll see.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That actually makes sense. I get the feeling the iPad 2 will just be a minor upgrade from the iPad 1. That's what happens when you build a new device a bit TOO well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.