Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning today, all four major music labels—Universal Music Group, Sony BMG, Warner Music Group and EMI, along with thousands of independent labels, are now offering their music in iTunes Plus, Apple’s DRM-free format with higher-quality 256 kbps AAC encoding.

iTunes customers can also choose to download their favorite songs from the world’s largest music catalog directly onto their iPhone 3G over their 3G network just as they do with Wi-Fi today, for the same price as downloading to their computer.

Beginning in April, based on what the music labels charge Apple, songs on iTunes will be available at one of three price points: 69 cents, 99 cents and $1.29, with most albums still priced at $9.99.

“We are thrilled to be able to offer our iTunes customers DRM-free iTunes Plus songs in high quality audio and our iPhone 3G customers the ability to download music from iTunes anytime, anywhere over their 3G network at the same price as downloading to your computer or via Wi-Fi,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “And in April, based on what the music labels charge Apple, songs on iTunes will be available at one of three price points—69 cents, 99 cents and $1.29—with many more songs priced at 69 cents than $1.29.”

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forty cents a song in Canada to upgrade. I just upgraded the only two songs I had bought on iTunes but effective immediately I will start buying more.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's okay it took me some searching to find the Upgrade link on the right hand side!

·
Banned
434 Posts
this is wicked!!!!!!!! i chose the 150 song upgrade package for like $37. i only have 42 right now that can be upgraded. my biggest complaint about itunes was always the 128kbps bitrate. today is a good day.

·
Banned
434 Posts
hmm....150 songs are re-downloading now....i thought it was only 42...oh well the more the merrier i guess. the files are over 7Mb so should be delicious. i'm gonna need to buy a bigger ipod tho.

·
Registered
656 Posts
my biggest complaint about itunes was always the 128kbps bitrate
Were DRM'd tracks 128? I thought Apple had moved to 256kbps AAC for everything?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Wow, guess I'll be using iTunes more. Sure, my Zune doesn't support AAC, but I can always transcode the files (losing a small bit of quality, but that would be OK.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well, goodbye Amazon MP3 you lost your chance with me! Apple iTunes all the way. This is great, now I can use my songs from the itunes store to play from my xbox, I can also use the songs in Lips!!!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I think the $0.40 price only applies on per-track basis. If you do the whole upgrade, it seems to be using the $0.30 price.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Is there a way to upgrade songs individually, if so how? Also, can anyone with an iphone see if the 3g itunes store downloads work in canada?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Buying a song and receiving it on the iPhone works (just tried it). Buying an album is a no go as anything over 10MB requires wifi.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is there a way to upgrade songs individually?

No, you must upgrade all of your songs........my cost is $241.21.

Previously I purchased songs at 99 cents whether or not they were in the iTunes plus format. Now I must pay an extra 40 cents and can't even choose the songs I want to upgrade.

The following article in MacWorld magazine does a great job highlighting the shortcomings of the upgrade to iTunes Plus feature.

http://www.macworld.com/article/137964/2009/01/itunesplus.html?t=102

1 - 20 of 87 Posts