Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many people had sms text messaging issues over the weekend with Telus? Both myself and my girlfriend where having issues where texts would not send and some messages never would be received and others coming hours late. We also both had an issue last night where we had NO service for several hours(could have been longer as I went to bed without service)

I called Telus this morning and their explanation was that Apple loaded a 3rd party app that caused the Telus sms servers to overload and cause the issues with the sms. The no service however when unexplained. I am on an rooted HTC Hero and my GF is on an Iphone3g.

I am curious if this happened to other providers as well or if it was just Alberta Telus that was affect. Yet another black mark on Apples image!

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
From what I understand it was a third-party iPhone app spamming the system with SMS somehow so quickly that it was causing a backup at Telus' servers. If that's the case I don't think you can blame Apple, an app like that could probably just as easily show up in the Android Market.

It's possible the service outage was caused by them doing a system reset to clear the queue. That's completely unfounded speculation though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
From what I read, it was affecting East coast users mostly. No comment from Apple as to which App it was. They're keeping pretty tight lipped.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm in Toronto area and I was definitely hit by this sms outage. Text messages sent to my wife were delayed by hours.

When I called the Telus tech line they had a recorded message that they are experiencing problems with sms so I just hung up and went to bed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Seems strange that an iPhone app would flood Telus' SMS capacity but not that of Rogers or Bell, or at least I have not spotted any complaints about such problems. Moreover, was the accused app something that only Canadians would be likely to load (I have seen nothing on American chatter boards)?

Someone correct me if the problem was experienced on Bell, Rogers, Virgin or Fido as well, please. Otherwise, I have to think a 3rd party iPhone app wasn't the only problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts