Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You know, I find all the talk about price a little silly when they're all priced at such low levels.

Lets look at it in the larger context. If these are devices that are useful enough to be your go-to tool for a lot of things, then they're worth every penny. In fact, they're cheap. Compared to lots of other pieces of technology I've purchased in the past ~18 months (e.g. multiple Dell 30" IPS 2560x1600 displays, a ultrabook, high end processors and video cards) this stuff is down right cheap!

The only expensive tablets out there right now are the tablets that ends up sitting on the shelf, unused. If a tablet is something that you're going to use 5-7 days a week, you owe it to yourself to get the tablet that best fits your needs. The $100 price difference is really negligible here and only really matters if you're going to be bulk-buying the stuff (where it adds up real money).

So, if these are devices you see yourself using a lot, buy the best. They're all pretty inexpensive. If you're getting your first tablet device and you think you may not use it much, start out with a cheap one and see if the form factor is for you.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Only $100'sh more expensive, but you are getting quality over the cheap tablets from the competition. How is the screen worst?
$130 more per unit, at least in the US.

iPad Mini: 1024 x 768
Nexus 7: 1280 x 800
Kindle Fire HD: 1280 x 800
Nook HD: 1440 x 900

Obviously there's more to screens than simply resolution, but in terms of pixel density it's a step below the $200 competition.

That said, I don't think Apple wants to challenge the $200 mark. I have no doubt they could have released an 8 GB model at $249, as was rumoured, and still turned a profit, but they would have been torching their margins and cannibalizing sales of their higher margin models. Apple has never shown any inclination to enter the low-cost computing market, so I'm not sure why anyone would have thought they would now. People who will only buy $200 tablets were never going to buy an iPad and Apple doesn't want them, at least right now.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes they have native tablet apps but the depth and breadth of iPad apps is much greater.
Also most tablet apps come out to iPad before Android.
That is true but the gap is becoming much smaller and the number of tablet optimised apps is increasing, of all the apps on my phone that I have on my tablet only 3 are not tablet optimised.....Scramble with Friends, Scrabble & Speedtest.net

I really am surprised at the cost of the iPad mini compared to the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD, it really is too expensive when compared and unless you are significantly invested in the eco system, it doesn't make a good value proposition.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Too expensive is what the market won't pay for them. If it sells well, it's not too expensive, and I have no doubt it will sell well.

Is it a better value proposition than a Nexus 7 or other $200 tablet? Well that's entirely subjective on the part of every consumer. If a $200 Android tablet doesn't do what you want, then it doesn't matter how much cheaper it is. If it doesn't do what you want as well as an iPad Mini, then it becomes a subjective judgement of worth. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will fall on either side of that line.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I think more of a case of buy on the rumour sell on the News. Apple was up significantly yesterday. I believe the price after the drop was still above the Friday
Actually, the entire market tanked today, so the stock blip for AAPL is part of something larger.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I keep looking at the ipods now for a price comparison...

Apple iPod touch 4th Generation 16GB $199
Apple iPod touch 4th Generation 32GB $249
Apple iPod touch 5th Generation 32GB $299

I know, not the same thing. But it comes down to why are u getting a mini? Because the ipad is too big? You want more portability? While the mini does do that is it small enough to be portable? I actually think it might be to big. And its price is way to high. I think if i am in the market for an ipad mini i would have to seriously look hard at the ipad and be sure i dont want that extra screen and power... And if it needs to be portable should i consider the ipod or go android for a 7" tablet...

Hard to beleive it but after seeing the size comparison i kinda wish it was 7" instead of 7.8" ...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Too expensive is what the market won't pay for them. If it sells well, it's not too expensive, and I have no doubt it will sell well.

Is it a better value proposition than a Nexus 7 or other $200 tablet? Well that's entirely subjective on the part of every consumer. If a $200 Android tablet doesn't do what you want, then it doesn't matter how much cheaper it is. If it doesn't do what you want as well as an iPad Mini, then it becomes a subjective judgement of worth. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will fall on either side of that line.
Of course, but is there really that much an iPad mini does that a Nexus 7 doesn't? So unless you are totally invested in either eco system price will play a huge part in the decision making process.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thinner, lighter, narrower bezel, larger screen, iPad apps, Apple support (this matters a lot to some people). I'm sure there are more.

Are these worth $130 to you? They're not to me, but I don't know if I represent the majority, and I can't say someone is wrong for valuing things differently than I do.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Thinner, lighter, narrower bezel, larger screen, iPad apps, Apple support (this matters a lot to some people). I'm sure there are more.

Are these worth $130 to you? They're not to me, but I don't know if I represent the majority, and I can't say someone is wrong for valuing things differently than I do.
Millions upon millions of people will disagree with you, TC ;)

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I think the Apple support is worth something as well. My wife's iPhone4 got dropped in the swimming pool. I made an appointment with the genius bar, they gave me a brand new unit.

If I did the same to a Nexus tablet where would I take it to get support? The Google store?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
As soon as the price was announced, the stock went south.
Might have looked that way, but in actuality the stock move was immediate on the revelation of iPhone sales tracking at 'only' 15 MM which was a little bit shy of what they hoped.

A higher price point on iPad Mini might be a disappointment for consumers, but if anything, a higher MSRP would boost (not lower) their stock price because it supports continued higher margins.

I believe the $329 price helps temper demand a little bit while they're ramping up inventory. Setting the launch price too low would have led to holiday shortages and bad PR.

And it also allows them to make a splash in early 2013 with a price cut to a still-profitable $299. Had they gone with $299 now, it would have meant expectations for the first cut would have been for a much skinnier $249

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
A headline was sent to my phone stating the stock went south as soon as the price was announced. Was unaware of the sales estimates for the Iphone. Still haven't heard about it until now.

Perhaps more than one factor kicked in mid-afternoon yesterday.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
When has Apple ever offered a price cut? They don't AFAIK unless they introduce new models that take the place of an older model and then they discount the older one.

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
Anyone have any comments on why there is no GPS in the wifi-only models? It is almost standard now in the tablet market. I know the larger iPad did not have it either but still.

Many apps use (if you allow it) the GPS location. Offline maps, astronomy, facebook, weather, speedtests, navigation, mapping etc.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yeah, I was shocked to learn that the regular WiFi-only Ipad didn't have GPS. So, it's no surprise the mini doesn't either.

Of course the reason is to keep the price down and Apple is hoping people won't notice.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My girlfriend's iPad 2 has GPS I thought because she uses an astronomy app. Am I wrong?

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
There's no doubt that Apple will sell millions of these devices, but the question is, how many millions? I think Apple missed the mark somewhat in its pricing, not in terms of whether people will buy it (because they will), but in terms of its price relative to the Android tablets its being compared to. When you're talking about devices that start at around $200, a $130 difference is a LOT of money. I feel they could have 'gone for the jugular' if the price started at least $50 less and really put a dent in Android tablet sales.

It's made my 7" tablet purchase decision a little murkier. I'll wait and see what Google announces in their upcoming event and see how the tablet field looks then.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts