1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have tried Aperture 2, and it was a bit of a dog on my system so I used Lightroom 2 instead. Well today I downloaded the Aperture 3 trial and I have to say there was a major performance increase from Aperture 2, and I may pull the trigger on this one as well, I think I'll hold off until the full release for Lightroom 3. Aperture 3 is looking good as another choice. It was also quite smart of Apple to release Aperture 3 when that have, beating Adobe out the gate will perhaps be a advantage.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Just to be clear - Aperture is more of souped-up iPhoto, right? As in, it's a photo management system (?).

It's not an alternative to Photoshop; to do things with layers and other editing, I'd need photoshop or photoshop elements?

Or am I mistaken?
(If I could get 70% of Photoshop capability in Aperture, I'd love to go with it, as I find Adobe's software totally non-intuitive; but if it's just 150% of the features in iPhoto....I don't see the need to drop $200 on it).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Download the 30 day trial to try it. I tried Lightroom before I bought Aperture and I prefer Aperture as everything is on one screen. Lightroom has different pages for different steps of the workflow.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just to be clear - Aperture is more of souped-up iPhoto, right? As in, it's a photo management system (?).
It is a photo management system, but also so much more. I find that I hardly use Photoshop at all anymore. I can make nearly every adjustment in Aperture.

There are no layers though... it's not for building or creating images, only applying adjustments to existing ones. Aperture 3 has brushes now, so I'm really going to be using Photoshop much, much less.

Faces and Places are a great addition to this release - although it took my MacBook Pro 3h to go through all of my photos and detect faces haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.