Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I called Customer Relations today to try and get a deal on the 630, I was told about a new "covert" (my word) package they have called the B.C. Digital Value Pack. It's so new, she couldn't even give me a complete channel listing. But what I know is that it seems quite similar to the Ontario Value Pack. I think it has basically all of those Digital Favourite channels. Plus you get Movie Central for a discounted price. I guess it's $15.99? Whatever it is with the Ontario Value Package. From what the CR agent said, some of the SD Canadian channels from the East are gone now. But I'm not sure which ones yet as I don't have a list of all the channels. Plus we had to change from the East feeds of U.S. networks in SD and go to the West feeds since we're in the West. We always preferred the East feeds, but that's a small price to pay since we have both in HD anyway. Oh, and it's $40.98. That's without Movies West. Finally a good deal for the West customers!

The Hans

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Sounds just like the Atlantic Value pack. Digital Value is 17.99 (a slightly stripped down version of the essentials). Extra Value is 20.99 (same as the digital favs pack. Digital Extra Value (movies) is 15.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Please let us know where we can find the channel lineup when you find it. I'd be very interested.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please let us know where we can find the channel lineup when you find it. I'd be very interested.
Well, from what I can tell from flipping around, it definitely includes the channels from the Digital Favourites, so if you see what those channels are, it's those. If you currently have an Eastern feed of the SD U.S. networks, you won't be able to have that any longer and you'll have to get West feeds. You still have all the HD "no-cost" channels, which includes both East and West feeds of the U.S. networks anyway. What we don't have any longer in Canadian SD Essential channels that we previously had are (original channel numbers): 304, 311, 312, 314, 342, 348, 349, 353 and 356. The only one of those that I care about at all is TV Ontario on 353.

The Hans

·
Registered
647 Posts
Clever Targetted Marketing??

Ontario Value Pack, Atlantic Value Pack and now a BC Value pack.

What is this, no slack for the rest of us Canadians.
Maybe they think peeps in the prairies either have more money to spend or are somehow less intelligent.

Could be that SHAW CABLE is so thick out West, it doesn't really matter as they'll get your dollar one way or another.
But Shaw is sizable in BC as well, so what's up with that?
Or maybe the nemesis TELUS is making some headway with their far superior Optik TV PVR System., that 's why the need to lower prices to stem the flow of tire kickers across the street.

Or maybe that's just the price it should be everywhere and by giving it a regional name, they make you feel all warm and special.

Since we know they can wheel and deal on PVR's, why not walk unless you can get some value pack pricing, even if your region doesn't have one.

They have been greedy far to long.
Time for some Walmart style roll backs I say!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Or maybe the nemesis TELUS is making some headway with their far superior Optik TV PVR System., that 's why the need to lower prices to stem the flow of tire kickers across the street.
I suspect that is it. Telus is doing Optik TV in BC & Alberta so I am surprised that they didn't make it something like the "West Value Pack" and have it available in BC & Alberta.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called about the BC DIgital pack and was told it was for new customers only.
If I'm not mistaken, that's the same thing that happened to people who called about the Ontario Value Pack. But people who weren't new customers ultimately got it. I am not a new customer, not by a long shot, and the B.C. Value Pack was actually offered to me. I didn't know about it prior to my call. Did you go to Customer Relations? Try again, speak to someone else, speak to a supervisor if you need to. But definitely call Customer Relations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have no interest in letting this go yet. I just fired off a letter to "Ask Jim" and thought I'd give it a day or two before calling them back.

If I have to work at it too hard on the phone I usually end up getting upset with the CS rep which I don't like to do. The front line Reps are only doing they're job and usually unable/not allowed to even give you the deal and that is why we usually have to ask for Customer Relations, but by that time it's not fun for me and it's really not fun for them so I have to let it go and try again later.

I will definitely be looking into this more. I like the idea of bundling it with the Movies. It'll actually increase my current bill a little that way but would end up with more channels I actually watch.

So Thank You TheHans for the info!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the thanks. I just wanted to clarify something regarding this deal -- my understanding is that you have to go through Customer Relations directly to get it. So anyone who tries to get it should get transferred over to Customer Relations right off the bat --and don't be deterred if they don't really want to transfer you over for whatever reason. The "normal" CSRs cannot get this deal for you from what I understand.

The Hans

·
Registered
324 Posts
Telus has been marketing very heavily over the summer. I was irked to get a lovely, large, and glossary brochure touting Optik TV in my mail when it isn't possible to get it this far north. :mad:

In the lower mainland, my brother-in-law told me that Delta Cable has been offering good deals on phone/internet/tv packages to combat Shaw's entrance.

It would be nice to drop our payments by a decent amount. I may have to call in.

·
Registered
647 Posts
That Shaw vs Delta thing is quite strange.
I actually built the digital headend for Delta and shipped it out to them 10 or so years back.
It was operated on Shaw's DAC for many years.

I always figured they would get first right if it ever went up for sale.

Shaw will eventually use their clout and swallow up all the small players in Western Canada or threaten to overbuild them and run them out of business.

Jim is ruthless that way.

Nice to see TELUS at least offer some real competitive hope.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I was going to ask Prufrock if he meant to say that Delta Cable was offering deals to combat Telus, not Shaw. Is Shaw competing with Delta Cable now (as well as Telus)?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I called about the Ontario Value Pack 2 or so years ago and complained that it wasn't available in BC. I threatened to switch to Telus tv, even though it isn't offered in my area. I was given a $10.00 reduction in my bill and have been receiving it ( the reduction) ever since. I have the Digital Favorites bundle. Looks like this package might work out even better.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Digital Western Value Package

I gave SD a call regarding what they could do to compete with the recent offerings made by Telus for their Optik TV ( they have been bombarding my mailbox with promotions). I was quickly connected to SD Customer Relations where the following offer was made and accepted.

- Convert my Digital Favourites to the Digital Western Value Package.
- Include the movie package.
Cost $53.90/month. (digital fav. was $56.99 and no movies)

Also:

- Include 1 year free HD Combo package ($9.99/month)

- Include 1 year free HD630 rental with $199 buyout. ($15/month)

All in all, SD was very co-operative, and has earned my loyalty.

Isn't healthy competition a wonderful thing? :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Convert my Digital Favourites to the Digital Western Value Package
I see your from BC. Its called the Digital Western Value package, Would it be available to Alberta residents I wonder. Are the Channels the same as the Digital Favorites?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I see your from BC. Its called the Digital Western Value package, Would it be available to Alberta residents I wonder. Are the Channels the same as the Digital Favorites?
They did say "Western" and it was in response to the Telus Optik competition, so I don't see why they would not provide this for Alberta residents. The programming is not identical but very similar....Post #4 in this thread appears to be correct from what I have been able to see.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I got it last week, the Customer Relations person said it was for B.C. Even if it isn't available in Alberta, you might be able to at least get some greater value by calling them (specifically Customer Relations) and trying to get a deal on something to compensate for the fact that people in Alberta don't get what people in Ontario, the Atlantic provinces and now B.C. are getting.

This is what I did prior to finding out about the B.C. Value Pack the other day. For example, we've had Movie Central for $10 off for many, many months and I keep renewing that discount. Also, we've gotten a number of PPV credits and free packages for a month here and there.

The Hans

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Shaw Direct. The Ontario Extra Value package is a programming package that is reserved and promoted through our Direct Sales agents in the Eastern Provinces. Our Direct Sales team does not offer this package in the Western Provinces. We cannot confirm whether all information on electronics and consumer forums is correct at all times. One of our value focused packages is Digital Favourites for $56.99.
This would be my latest response to my inquiries about the BC Digital Value Pack. I fired off another e-mail as I don't have time to call. Oh well, I guess it'll be a multiple call/e-mail effort for this one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
TheHans & SkiFan, I will try and see what they say about that. I may have to phone if the email gets me no where. Thanks for the Infromation.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Shaw Direct. The Ontario Extra Value package is a programming package that is reserved and promoted through our Direct Sales agents in the Eastern Provinces. Our Direct Sales team does not offer this package in the Western Provinces. We cannot confirm whether all information on electronics and consumer forums is correct at all times. One of our value focused packages is Digital Favourites for $56.99.
Ramdamit98, Thats the exact anwser that I had recieved from Ask Jim as well. Exactly word for word. The guy who emailed me was Ross on behalf of Jim Cummins. Let me know if you get the deal. I will try emailing again as well, and if all else fails, i will phone.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts